Thread: Question re motor canoe

Default Question re motor canoe

Hi

Having built an SF Wren a few years ago, I'm thinking about building another boat. The nearly 16' Wren was a tight fit in my garage so I've been looking at the Selway Fisher motor canoe at 12'6". The plan is to fit a Minn Kota Endura C2 (or similar) for quiet leisurely pottering on local canals and rivers.

From doing some research it has become apparent that fitting a motor to a canoe (no matter how small or quiet) has an impact on the licensing of said boat. However, I could not find a conclusive answer as to what sort of licensing was required. Are there different requirements for rivers and canals? There was also some talk of 3rd party insurance.

So I turn to the SOTP Hive Mind for answers. Can anyone shed light on what is required? Or point me in the appropriate direction?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Where are you? - which rivers/canals did you intend playing on?
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Near Banbury, England and just South of Poitiers France.

I'm answering without researching details... so worth checking!

The first thing worth looking into is BCU (Canoe England) membership. That sorts licensing for almost all canals, rivers and Broads in the UK. Also provides necessary 3rd party insurance. Excellent value.

Now the bit I'm less sure of: electric motors are not a licensing issue. I say that on the basis that on the Thames electric craft were treated as unpowered for licensing purposes last time I looked into it.

But others more knowledgeable than me will no doubt follow with more definite advice.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ration-charges

Has a link to the current regulations - which give a 25% discount for electric power - seems to me that a typical canoe would attract an annual fee on the close order of 60 per year.

Other rivers and lakes will have other fees.

The open access in Scotland would not apply - though you might get away with it,,
    This post may vanish at any moment.