Thread: New member based in Clevedon Somerset

Default New member based in Clevedon Somerset

Hi All Just wanted to say hello. Jim Scott is my name and I have recently taken early retirement and my friend and I have realised our dream of having open Canadian Canoes (one each). We have had some lovely flat water canoe days on the Bristol Avon and the Congresbury Yeo. Always looking for suggestions for leisurely paddles and good launch sites and portage points. We may well be buying fishing/touring kayaks soon too and have recently joined Clevedon Canoe Club.
    Last edited by jiscott; 30th-July-2018 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Hello and Welcome Jim!

Have a look on Paddle Points for other places. The Kennet and Avon is one obvious one, the valley between Bath and Bradforn-on-Avon is particularly good, as you can do loops of canal and natural river instead of just there-and-backs.

So, what have you & your mate got then?

Gosh, another Somerset paddler comes out of the woodwork. Maybe they're not as thin on the ground as I thought .
    Welcome Jim.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Well Mall.
    I bought a Ribber canoe on Amazon with an inverted keel but to be honest I wish I,d spent a bit more. It's shape does not have a raised bow or stern so it doesn't look traditional. However it seems to work ok. My mate Steve has an older canoe but I don't know what it is. Still were having fun. We got up to Warliegh weir last week from Batheaston but we were unsure of how to get above the weir so turned back. We would like to start from here but where would we park our cars is the question

Hi Jim

its lovely to make the aquaintance of another Somerset Paddler, whatever Old Man says, we are quite numerous really, but just laid back! ��. Enjoy yourselves and I find that there is no substitute for a good wander and a nosey round when I want to scope out a paddle, you can usually find out what you need. A trolley is often handy for me for lugging gear but the help of pal is just as good. A local club will often have the information you want too. Failing that, a question on the forum will usually deliver the goods. I have paddled around Dundas Aqueduct a couple of times on the K & A, which is very pretty. We paddled up to the Cross Guns Pub I think it was for lunch and paddled back rather more sedately after. If you fancy crossing the county, there are several nice loops on the Exeter Canal and River Exe. There are a couple of weirs but they can be portaged or avoided depending on what route you choose. Or Bridgwater & Taunton Canal is very nice too. There is an ideal spot for launching by a pub would you believe? The Boat & Anchor just off J24 of the M5. Paddle into Bridgwater for a shortish paddle or paddle down to the Maunsel Lock tea rooms for a longer trip. Free parking either end if you want a one way trip. See you on the water hopefully sometime, I’m in a green Novacraft Prospector with a Quentin sticker obviously ��
    MerryMac
    Proud Member of The Soggy Bottom Squad

Old Man, How come weíve still not crossed paths? ��
    MerryMac
    Proud Member of The Soggy Bottom Squad

Weíve taken up canoeing this summer after trying it years ago with the kids, and have really caught the bug. We joined Bath canoe club although actually we are almost equidistant from Bath and Clevedon and are using their canoes at present but planning to buy by next summer. We have paddled the Wye and Lake Bala, but only the Bath section of the Avon so far - planning to explore further the river and canal over the rest of the year. So if you fancy a joint explore, weíd be up for something - the only snag is that I work Sundays, but if you
    (Like my husband!) are retired, presumably it doesnít have to be weekends. During the week Iím almost always working Thursdays but my other days are more flexible. The canoe club in Bath is a couple of bridges up from Poultney Weir and so long as we donít coincide with a course or something, itís normally possible to park there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jiscott View Post
    Well Mall.
    We got up to Warliegh weir last week from Batheaston but we were unsure of how to get above the weir so turned back. We would like to start from here but where would we park our cars is the question
    Thatís exactly what we did - thought we would research the portage on foot sometime but havenít done it yet.

Default New member based in Clevedon Somerset

I gather a trolley is recommended for the portage - we have one now, though we havenít tried it out yet! Though that may only be for the portage through to the canal - Iím not sure if you are staying on the river.

Last edited by Spinningwoman; 31st-August-2018 at 10:35 AM.