Thread: Linear Packrafting Trip. Lochs Morar, Arkaig and Lochy

Default Linear Packrafting Trip. Lochs Morar, Arkaig and Lochy

Blog from a recent packrafting trip done over three days. Lochs Morar, Arkaig and Lochy then Caledonian Canal and train back to start. Grand Trip!

Blog here: https://www.veletron.com/lochs-morar...kraft-journey/

Nigel

Great adventure.
    I like the mix of off grid wild environment with a "raft" of high tech gadgets.
    Best use of this summers weather.

Nick

wow great blogg and an epic trip with some great photos. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Fantastic trip, its on the list, probably with the folding canoe to save a bit of weight!

Ray Goodwin did this with an open canoe a year or so back too.

Fantastic blog.

I like the way the gear is stowed inside the tubes rather than on top like so many other users do. Do you have any photos showing how this works?
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Nice one ... and a fantastic part of the world (though I'm biased).
    How do you manage to maintain "waterproofness" of the panel to powerbank connections? I see you've reviewed both on Amazon and are pleased with them, so this must be sorted.
    Great blog report.
    David

--
    Life is short and responsibility overrated - John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    Fantastic blog.

I like the way the gear is stowed inside the tubes rather than on top like so many other users do. Do you have any photos showing how this works?
    Hi, unfortunately no pics. Will try remember to take some on the next trip. I don't use the internal storage feature very often, but after this trip, might use it more. Basically there is an air tight zip about 15" long (same zip as you might find on a drysuit). Before inflating the boat, you open this and insert the long drybags (supplied) down the air tube either side, and clip them to an internal loop. You then zip it up and fill with air. Should you need access to anything, you would have to defalate\reinflate the boat. So I have another drybag with the essentials.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Nice one ... and a fantastic part of the world (though I'm biased).
    How do you manage to maintain "waterproofness" of the panel to powerbank connections? I see you've reviewed both on Amazon and are pleased with them, so this must be sorted.
    Great blog report.
    I did nothing special re waterproofing. I swapped the supplied connectors for barrel plug/socket, and the connections are made on the reverse of the panel which should mean it stays dry enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Fantastic trip, its on the list, probably with the folding canoe to save a bit of weight!

Ray Goodwin did this with an open canoe a year or so back too.
    Some guys from Shropshire did this in Canadians! Took em 3 days to get from Morar to Arkaig via Glen Pean!

https://bealers.com/2015/05/16/loch-...o-loch-arkaig/

Well done on the trip. It is a truly wild place up there on the portage from Morar to Glan Pean.

My account with photos is: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-day-adventure

it will give folk an impression of where you travelled.

ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Paddling a Venture Prospector (in CoreLite X) using Downcreek Paddles

Grand pix indeed, and hardcore getting those boats over! Now that I know what the western end of the portage is called, I will update my blog! Shame that the Pean was so low when I was there as it looks like the whole lot would go by Packraft at your water levels!

Nigel

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Great stuff, Nigel!

We'll have to do a trip one of these days.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Enjoyed the blog, thanks, and particularly some of the photos - possibly from a drone? A whole new aspect to the terrain.

Like the solar panel on the back. Might as well make use of the that large stern.
    Can I ask what the panel is and what type of battery it's charging (are they waterproof)?

Quote Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
    Enjoyed the blog, thanks, and particularly some of the photos - possibly from a drone? A whole new aspect to the terrain.
    Thanks, aye, DJI Mavic Air - bought for its size and the fact that it will do those aerial 360 shots! My second trip into the Fisherfield a couple of weeks later (a part of the same holiday) did not come off - would not stop raining or howling. 45MPH winds at one point howling down Loch Maree! Went east and walked some Corbetts instead!

Crow: Aye indeed we shall have to sort out a trip one of these days!

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Longshore View Post
    Like the solar panel on the back. Might as well make use of the that large stern.
    Can I ask what the panel is and what type of battery it's charging (are they waterproof)?
    Hi. You'll find all the details re battery charging on my Blog - scroll to the end of the blog linked on this page for info. Not waterproof unfortunately. I replaced the connectors with DC barrel connectors, the one that comes with the panel likely is more waterproof than what I replaced it with - but I wanted re-use of stuff for weight reasons. The panel its-self is waterproof though, and the outlet is sealed. Battery definitely not waterproof, I just stuck it in a drybag.

Nigel

Attempted similar route last week but weather too unpredictable.
    Visited Invermallie and Essen by boat instead.

Also attempted a sea crossing to Peanmeanach.
    Had to turn back when the wind started wipping up white horses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice one. Aye, the weather got rubbish the week after. I was going to head into the Fisherfield but winds and rain thwarted plans!

Quote Originally Posted by veletron View Post
    Hi. You'll find all the details re battery charging on my Blog - scroll to the end of the blog linked on this page for info. Not waterproof unfortunately. I replaced the connectors with DC barrel connectors, the one that comes with the panel likely is more waterproof than what I replaced it with - but I wanted re-use of stuff for weight reasons. The panel its-self is waterproof though, and the outlet is sealed. Battery definitely not waterproof, I just stuck it in a drybag.

Nigel
    Thanks Nigel, I'll have a look through your blog!

20. Default

Ray, I seem to remember a similar blogg/article of yours 'back when you were a lad' somewhere near the Morar area with long portages and height gains etc, could you let me have the link? Ta

Very enjoyable.......waiting for my packraft to be delivered at end of this month - have just mailed link to your blog to my mate as 'something to aspire to'!
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus