Thread: Roof Bar Padding

Question Roof Bar Padding

I'm sure I've seen this somewhere but I can't find it so I'm turning to you lot instead...

Has anyone had any success using a bike tyre (cut up slightly) and cable tied to the roof bars instead of using the commercial padding you can get?
    The length of bars & placement of the mounts etc on my car means that while I can fit the pads, they tend to be inside the canoe rather than under the gunwhales.
    I saw a car with mtb tyres fitted to the bars a while back and thought it might work (no idea what they carried though). I have plenty of old tyres but I don't want to slice one up if it doesn't work.

I use pipe lagging if I have two boats on. If only one boat, I don't bother

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    If only one boat, I don't bother
    I used to with the last boat but for some reason, the Nova SP3 prospector slides more than the old Disco did. Hence the pads.

Try to avoid the 'Tokyo Drift'

Quote Originally Posted by tmcox View Post
    I used to with the last boat but for some reason, the Nova SP3 prospector slides more than the old Disco did. Hence the pads.
    Make sure you have the yolk (the widest point) central between the bars. If you don't the boat can shift a little in transit, not usually a lot but enough for a wobble sometimes.

To answer your question, I have not used bike tires but boat fenders instead. Similar rubber strip.
    With the fenders, I was able to drill holes and with a washer fix to the roof bars.
    The issue you may have is whether the cable ties will hold the tire in place when you slide a canoe over them. Actually, with my rubber fenders, it is hard to slide anything across, the rubber wants to grip the gunnels.
    So exerting some force to slide the canoe across may dislodge the tire from the bar.
    Only way to know for sure is to try it.

Another vote for pipe lagging, although B&Q actually ran out of the stuff in the late freeze. Remember cold weather, just before the drought!
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

If you can get that triangular section blue packing foam stuff that's pretty good.. I got some when I picked my fishing yak , I'd forgotten my padding, the shop had it kicking around... brilliant stuff...

A few pieces of wide bore hosepipe similar to that used for pub lines, split down one side and fix. Lasts much better than pipe lagging.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

+1 for DIY-ing. I had the 'proper' stuff and it lasted maybe 4 or 5 outings before it was destroyed by my battleship/riber. I have had to change the way I load to avoid any sliding. If you 'walk' the boat on from the side I can't see why tyres and cable ties wouldn't hold firm. If you're sliding it on though I can't see how any rubber compound would ever last; either offering too much resistance, heating up and breaking down, or not offering enough resistance and therefore being pretty useless.
    I refuse to let the fact that I haven't got a clue what I'm doing hold me back in any aspect of my life.

I drape a thickish pile bathmat over each of the rear of the roof (hatchback) and the rear roofrack bar. The canoe slides easily over these and doesn't scratch the car or cause any friction to the rubber on the roofrack bar. Then I just lift the canoe slightly and pull out the mat from the roofrack bar and lash the canoe down. The reverse procedure is done to unload.

Quote Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
    I drape a thickish pile bathmat over each of the rear of the roof (hatchback) and the rear roofrack bar. The canoe slides easily over these and doesn't scratch the car or cause any friction to the rubber on the roofrack bar. Then I just lift the canoe slightly and pull out the mat from the roofrack bar and lash the canoe down. The reverse procedure is done to unload.
    That's a keeper - thanks!
    G

'Adventure is relative. My adventure is another's commonplace.'