Thread: Dorset- coastal

Default Dorset- coastal

Has anyone paddled out from Lulworth Cove and along to Durdle Dor in an open canoe? I have done this in my whitewater kayak but not in my canoe
    ( Mad River Explorer 16 ) and, accounting for wind and tides, wondered how feasible it is.

Like any coastal trip, it is entirely dependent on conditions, and tidal awareness. On a very calm day, it could be a doddle, but there are no easy escape options and you'd want a good stable forecast with winds of F1/2 max and low swell. I don't know the tides, but as its only a couple of miles you might be able to time it on either side of slack tide and get back before the tide is flowing properly.

I've paddled Old Harry, and Kimmeridge-Chapman's Pool in open canoes. This was in a group, which adds a bit of a safety margin.

Thanks for your reply, how much time either side of the slack tide do you think is advisable?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob111 View Post
    Thanks for your reply, how much time either side of the slack tide do you think is advisable?
    No worries. As I say, I don't know the tides there, but I usually find that an hour each side of slack gives paddling without battling the flow!

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Don't forget tidal characteristics may change with tide size.. I know of a spot that actually runs faster on neaps due to the complex nature of tidal flows in that area, that is a weird anomaly .. saying that a neap tide would make sense

Hi Bob,

This trip is perfectly doable, providing you don't mind being stung for the car park charges!

Tidal flow is not too much of a concern on this stretch, as there are no headlands to speak of, to cause a 'race'. It can get a little lumpy around Dungy Head, but that is more swell or wind related. If you are doing the trip on spring tides, then try to paddle in the top or bottom couple of hours, if on neaps, then you have freedom for the day.

For example, today, there is just 70cm of tidal change between 05:20 and 16:00 - Absolute Tides is a very worthwhile app and for just a few pounds each year gives you tidal predictions all around the country and for a full year in advance!

With a prevailing onshore wind, you can hide in the shadow of the cliffs to avoid the worst of the wind, so then only really need to pay attention to the swell/wave height, which can be looked up on WindGuru - just ensure you are looking at Kimmeridge as a location, and it will serve you well at Lulworth.

The only thing to watch at Durdle Door (or Man'o'War bay) is the steepness of the beach

If you plan to do the trip, let me know and I'll happily try to join you.

Adrian

Hello Adrian, thanks for your reply to my post. I am going to be camping in the area from next Monday for about a week so could make the canoe trip any day of that week and would be very pleased to have your company if you can make it. Best regards. Bob.

Hello Adrian, thanks for your reply to my post. I am going to be camping in the area from next Monday for about a week so could make the canoe trip any day of that week and would be very pleased to have your company if you can make it. Best regards. Bob.
    Hi can you advise which wind guru app . i found two. wind guru lite and wind guru 11. thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi Mark, Windguru Lite is more than sufficient - just ensure you use the 'GFS 27km' table - it's the best average generally.

Quote Originally Posted by markpfc View Post
    Hi can you advise which wind guru app . i found two. wind guru lite and wind guru 11. thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi Bob,

I'm off on Tuesday 31st, current predictions don't look too bad, will drop you a PM at the weekend to confirm?

Cheers

Adrian

Hello Adrian, leaving for Dorset in the morning, have loaded my canoe, be good if you can make it for a trip. Best regards, Bob.

Hi Bob,

Tuesday is now looking a tad windier that ideal (F3/4), but Weds and Thurs are looking spot on and will probably be more suitable for you, however, I am working both days, so will be unavailable to join you.

Have a great trip, with tides heading towards neaps, conditions look ideal for an afternoon paddle

My thanks to you all for your responses and helpful advice. I decided to go out from Lulworth Cove on Friday of last week as that appeared to be the best of the days and nearest to the neap during my stay. It was a bit more choppy than I had expected when I got out of the Cove and there were a few speed boats and jet skis about but it calmed on the journey and on the way back from Durdle Dor was easier. Really enjoyable and would like to have gone further but for a first coastal it was probably just right. Thanks again. Bob.

Great to hear you managed to get out, the boats can churn up the surface of the water quite a bit, but as you say it's generally only near to the Cove that this happens.

Did you manage to paddle through the Door itself?

Any photos?

Adrian

My thanks to you all for your responses and helpful advice. I decided to go out from Lulworth Cove on Friday of last week as that appeared to be the best of the days and nearest to the neap during my stay. It was a bit more choppy than I had expected when I got out of the Cove and there were a few speed boats and jet skis about but it calmed on the journey and on the way back from Durdle Dor was easier. Really enjoyable and would like to have gone further but for a first coastal it was probably just right. Thanks again. Bob.

Went almost up to the beach but not through the Dor, no photos either I am afraid. I do different things but rarely take photos. Went climbing at El Chorro earlier this year and took no photos, forty mile mountain bike across the North York Moors ( Yorkshire True Grit ) about a month ago and didn't take a photo, just like to savor the experience.