Thread: White Water Massif Central - new edition at the printers

Default White Water Massif Central - new edition at the printers

Rivers Publishing are delighted to confirm that the new edition of White Water Massif Central is now at the distributors. We have had some copies and it looks great! It should be generally available from the 6th August. Thank you everyone for your patience and a big thank you to the many people who have helped and contributed.

The pre-publication offer has now ended and I am sorry we do not sell direct - you can obtain copies from major retailers and on the internet. We recommend Wordery.com as an ethical mail order internet supplier and they are currently listing it at 17.97 sterling including free world wide postage.

Please see out website for full details of the new edition -
    www.riverspublishing.co.uk.

Happy paddling,

Peter Knowles, Rivers Publishing.

Last edited by Slime; 3rd-August-2018 at 04:31 PM. Reason: updated info

Excellent news mate. I know how much work has gone into this, from a fair few people. I also hear how much wine went into it to, but that's a different story...

Looking forward to seeing it, what I've seen looks like a fantastic step on from the already excellent previous "bible" for paddling the rivers of France.

3. Default

Just back from Florac to Millau with my old copy.
    Looking forward to the update; had some great paddling adventures down there thanks to edition 1.

Did Tarn in 2007 and caught a few surprises this time, but a packraft tends to flatter your WW ability.

Annoyingly, took out 500m too early in Millau, just as the Tour de France blew across the Pont Lerouge.
    Should have carried on a bit and finished down the easy WW course to cap off the full experience.

All do-able in 3 days, 2/3 portages, two chutes and an odd, unsigned low weir drop.
    A great touring river with just enough challenges to keep things interesting.
    Amazed I was the only non-rental or youth group paddling the river (unless you count the family playing in an giant flying unicorn pool toy).
    And from Florac to Montbrun and Rozier to Millau I was the only boat on the water.
    Get down there; you're missing out!

Yeah, well done on the publication.
    I may be a little biased But it is well worth getting this updated copy of the ‘bible’ for the area. I’m sure it’ll be a success.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Quote Originally Posted by usernameChrisS View Post
    Just back from Florac to Millau with my old copy.
    Looking forward to the update; had some great paddling adventures down there thanks to edition 1.

Did Tarn in 2007 and caught a few surprises this time, but a packraft tends to flatter your WW ability.

Annoyingly, took out 500m too early in Millau, just as the Tour de France blew across the Pont Lerouge.
    Should have carried on a bit and finished down the easy WW course to cap off the full experience.

All do-able in 3 days, 2/3 portages, two chutes and an odd, unsigned low weir drop.
    A great touring river with just enough challenges to keep things interesting.
    Amazed I was the only non-rental or youth group paddling the river (unless you count the family playing in an giant flying unicorn pool toy).
    And from Florac to Montbrun and Rozier to Millau I was the only boat on the water.
    Get down there; you're missing out!
    Nice one. Good effort to do the whole thing in 3 days in a packraft. I am constantly amazed how quiet the Tarn is outside of the most popular middle bit and the short high season.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    Yeah, well done on the publication.
    I may be a little biased But it is well worth getting this updated copy of the ‘bible’ for the area. I’m sure it’ll be a success.
    Worth if for the updated photos alone, I reckon

6. Default

Just reading your 2016 article in Paddler.

… down the initial slope the acceleration was alarming…

Tell me about it! Didn’t remember that one near Ispagnac or the other steep drop just before the bridge. The book didn’t clarify them.
    I suppose as long as it’s not Niagara Falls, sometimes it’s better not to know, but the acceleration was quite a shock!
    (Fyi: temporary submersible road bridge = 200-m portage at Ispagnac while the old stone one gets repaired).

Fast run was helped by an all-night storm below St Chely.
    Next day was racing along and looked a foot higher further down.
    Le Sabliere was smothered over which actually made it easier.

Got from Rozier to Millau so fast I had jet lag.

Must take a lot of skill to manoeuvre a hardshell canoe in these places.
    Saw lots of rental SoTs flipping over.

The levels this year have been all over the place. La Sabliere is pretty easy at between 0.6 and 1.0 on the Montbrun Gauge, gets a bit rocky dodgy when lower, and a bit big and swampy when higher, as it was for us at the beginning of June. Looks like its all back to normal levels now though. Didn't paddle Florac to Montbrun this year, it was too high to take an open near those rapids (1.5ish).

8. Default

Didn't know of the gauge at Montbrun but one at Pont du Tarn, Florac was minus something - 0.6?
    Didn't pay it much mind as I assumed I was in for mid-summer low water and that was that.
    Lot of scraping and 'arm punting' and had to actually get out 4 times up to Ispagnac.
    Less Montbrun to St Chely and none after the storm.
    Just found https://www.vigicrues.gouv.fr off MarkL's site. Very interesting.
    You can see the spike at Montbrun doubling to .65 over Fri-Sat night and a concomitant bulge down at Millau a day later.
    But it's only peaking at what it was about a month ago.

At Hautrives village I saw staggeringly high markers for past floods.
    Sept 1965 looked like at least 10m, level with the cable runway and there was a higher one still just up the path.

I use RiverApp, excellent simple tool with gauges and sections all over the world.

All looking very empty now!

Quote Originally Posted by usernameChrisS View Post
    Didn't know of the gauge at Montbrun but one at Pont du Tarn, Florac was minus something - 0.6?
    Didn't pay it much mind as I assumed I was in for mid-summer low water and that was that.
    Lot of scraping and 'arm punting' and had to actually get out 4 times up to Ispagnac.
    Less Montbrun to St Chely and none after the storm.
    Just found https://www.vigicrues.gouv.fr off MarkL's site. Very interesting.
    You can see the spike at Montbrun doubling to .65 over Fri-Sat night and a concomitant bulge down at Millau a day later.
    But it's only peaking at what it was about a month ago.

At Hautrives village I saw staggeringly high markers for past floods.
    Sept 1965 looked like at least 10m, level with the cable runway and there was a higher one still just up the path.
    you ought to see these gorges in wet winter ... each spring the trees and crevices are jammed up with other trees with leaves on them still.

I also use river app paid version so I can get history but for France alone, vigicures does more or less the same. It also shows the top levels of previous floods. This year will be included on some rivers from late winter. It was pretty high all around right up until June.
    Last edited by MarkL; 24th-July-2018 at 10:24 PM.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”