Thread: Flint & ferrocerium rod (& that's not a typo)

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Default Flint & ferrocerium rod (& that's not a typo)

Yeah, you did read that right.

I'm a big fan of flint and steel for my fire lighting, that's not them fancy, work-of-the-devil ferrocerium rod's, that's good ole' hardened carbon steel.

I did buy a few of the ferro rods a while ago to make up into tinder kits for people, and today found one that was left over. Simply because I could, I tried it with a couple of different strikers.

Carbon steel is a good choice, and the little Opinel penknives are great.

Stainless is a bit less reliable, although I got some very impressive results using the [albeit very square] spine of my work knife, which being made of 440c - is about as GI stainless gets. On closer examination tho' I was actually shaving slithers of the ferro rod off, which was great, as it could be controlled into a little pile, which an enthusiastic rip would ignite into a little firework display, but you'll not get 12k strikes doing that.

Then I tried flint ... flint is an extraordinary material, and the more time I spend with it, the more impressive it seems.

Impressed - I'll say ! In fact I was so impressed I caught a bit on camera, and [yawn] the results are here. I can't see me abandoning flint and steel, but it was an interesting experiement, and one I don't think I can recall seeing done elsewhere (but I'm happy to be proved wrong).

No editing this time, just ripped straight off my EDC camera (a Canon Powershot A630). The gulls had their young up with them today, hence all the shrieking above me, tho' the sight of 4 cats elsewhere in the garden can't of helped.
    Last edited by monkey_pork; 29th-July-2007 at 08:59 PM.

There was a thread on BCUK a couple of years ago listing all the different materials the people have tried using a Swedish fire with.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    There was a thread on BCUK a couple of years ago listing all the different materials the people have tried using a Swedish fire with.
    Ah ... and I bet flint was mentioned there ...

Not having really used them very much at all, I've not really done much experimentation with them, but from todays messing about, I'd be content that the striker has only got to be harder than the ferro rod anyway, so lots of things'd probably do (if they have the right edge). Dunno how 'soft' they are (quite I'd expect) - the spine on the stainless blade was taking perceptible chunks out of it (but then 440c can be pretty 'hard' anyway).
    Last edited by monkey_pork; 29th-July-2007 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey_pork View Post
    ...Impressed - I'll say ! In fact I was so impressed I caught a bit on camera, and [yawn] the results are here. I can't see me abandoning flint and steel, but it was an interesting experiement, and one I don't think I can recall seeing done elsewhere (but I'm happy to be proved wrong).....
    Very sparky! That's got to be the shortest utube video I've seen!
    Chris