Thread: Bristol Avon at Batheaston toward Bradford and Avon

Default Bristol Avon at Batheaston toward Bradford and Avon

Hi My friend and I have been exploring the Bristol Avon upwards from Batheaston in our open canoes. After about three miles or so, we came to a weir by an island (sorry I cant remember what it was called) but we would like to go from here up toward Bradford on Avon. Can anyone tell us where we were and how to get our car to the nearest parking place for porterage so we can navigate from here up river please?

Hello and Welcome!

Warleigh Weir perhaps?

There are various loops you can do using the canal and the river between here and Bradford-o-A, so you might not have to do a there-and-back. Have a look on Paddlepoints: http://www.paddlepoints.net/PaddlePo...ion=Batheaston

Not used anywhere near the weir though, but it looks like there's a small layby down Ferry Lane from Claverton: https://goo.gl/maps/ah7YX6qJNqF2 There's a right of way footpath from there down to the river below the weir, which could then climb up in low-medium water levels.

Alternatively, start at Brassknocker basin, drop down the coal canal to the Dundas Viaduct, cross this then go down the steep path to the river below, follow this down to Warleigh, then portage back up to the canal via the path. If this isn't far enough, from Dundas go up the canal to Avoncliff and climb down to the river there, then back down to Dundas and Warleigh as above.

Avoid in high water, when the weirs could be nasty, but they're very benign and climbable in "normal" conditions.

Thanks Mal
    Warliegh was the weir. This has been most helpful
    Thanks again

Jim

I've done a similar trip recently and found a good access point in Limpley Stoke: Travelling east, you go past the pub in Limpley Stoke and then look for a track, which passes under the railway bridge, on your left. Its just before a bungalow. You can reverse a short way into the track to unload and then park on the road opposite. I'm not sure to attach an image to this reply (?) but have produced a small 'x marks the spot map' if you need it

Default Limpley Stoke access point

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Evans View Post
    I've done a similar trip recently and found a good access point in Limpley Stoke: Travelling east, you go past the pub in Limpley Stoke and then look for a track, which passes under the railway bridge, on your left. Its just before a bungalow. You can reverse a short way into the track to unload and then park on the road opposite. I'm not sure to attach an image to this reply (?) but have produced a small 'x marks the spot map' if you need it
    Thanks Sam. If coming from Bath end do I turn down Brass knocker hill.?

The grid reference of the Limpley Stoke access is ST 78315 60812 (gridreferencefinder.com), which is off the A36 and south of Brassknocker Hill. An alternate trip is to put the boat in at the canal (grid ref ST 78370 61256), paddle east on the canal, portage the boat from canal to river (at Avoncliff for example) and then paddle down the river to ST 78315 60812. I did this recently an it was great.

It has been quite a few years, but we often used to stop for lunch at Warleigh and it was always busy with people out for a picnic or a swim so there much be somewhere to park pretty close by?

How hard can it be?

Oh, apparently parking is a problem (at the bottom of article about an even worse problem...)
    http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news...osure-warning/

How hard can it be?