Thread: Farnborough Airshow - By Canoe!

Default Farnborough Airshow - By Canoe!

I know, I know, I know.... that this is very last minute planning at the extreme....But, I've got the weekend off, and I had intended to head down to the Bristol for the Harbour festival....

But, very much now, due to spending too many hours on the road just lately, and the fact that this year is the Royal Air Forces 100th Anniversary ( Simms do you copy?)

Have now, naturally opted for the Farnborough Airshow - by canoe!... & why not!?

When was the last time I did something for the first time!?

My lad and I now intend to paddle out of Fleet on Saturday, mid morning, from the put-in at Reading Road Wharf on the A323 Aldershot road, and then hide my car somewhere where you don't have to pay for parking for the rest of the day.....and that sounds like the beginning of a good plan to me!

After leaving Fleet I hope to then be either anchoring -up or stepping ashore at Eelmoor Flash, after an hour or so of paddling.

Then take in the sights and extreme sounds of the day, and enjoy all under an improvised shelter with a few BBQ nibbles to boot!

Hoping now to meet up with the usual local suspects ...if you fancy coming along!

Coordinating instructions are now : See you all there, as it's too late now for anything more!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 20th-July-2018 at 02:00 AM.
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Don't know if this effects your plans or not

"Canal and towpath CLOSURE - Farnborough Airshow - 9th - 22nd July (12.30 to c.17.30 pm daily.) Eelmoor to Norris bridges
    Farnborough International have again asked that a small portion of the Canal between Eelmoor and Norris Bridges be closed during flying hours at this year's Farnborough Airshow.
    You will remember that this is as a result of safety regulations introduced following the Shoreham Airshow crash a few years ago.
    The canal and towpath will be closed from a point just east of Eelmoor Bridge to a point just west of Norris Bridge as part of the Airshow perimeter during the hours of flying on 9th 22nd July (12.30pm to approx. 5.30pm daily)
    The A323 Fleet Road and Aldershot Road will also be closed - more information on the Rushmoor Borough Council web site. https://www.rushmoor.gov.uk/airshowtraffic"

!!

'Plan B' may now be the Bristol Harbour Festival after all!

Many thanks for heads up bigyellowtractor.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

You can paddle up from the ash side to the military bridge.

My lad is still keen to go, canoe or not. Which might mean a very much nostalgic tab back up to the top of flagstaff / Caesars camp!

Pete, when you say paddle up from the Ash side to the military bridge, I take you mean paddle from the east / Aldershot side up to Eelmoor bridge. If so, now that's a thought for Sunday...give Nigel a shout!

I knew they were closing the road in the vicinity, and put that down to motorists being distracted....but closing the canal, get outta' of here!

Just put up a sign on the towpath saying " If you paddle past this point, you may die if all goes to rats!"

At least give us paddlers a choice!

Rant now over.
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 20th-July-2018 at 10:06 PM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

I think a packraft would be the vehicle of choice when paddling by an airshow.

After all they are descended from US Air Force life rafts.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

I am four-square in favor of watching Airshows from a canoe. I do that every September......

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post
    !!

'Plan B' may now be the Bristol Harbour Festival after all!

Many thanks for heads up bigyellowtractor.
    No worries.

I had thought much the same as you until I read the announcement of restrictions.

I used to go to the end of the runway to watch with my kids. To avoid parking restrictions I would bump my little Suzuki over the roadside mound/ditch and into the shrubbery, ruffle the stuff back into place and walk away. It was Olive Drab (my shooting vehicle) and you'd have to know what you were looking for to spot it.

We tried watching the Royal International Air Tattoo from canoe last week and almost fell out as the planes buzzed over our heads! Great fun though and some amazing pictures

Quote Originally Posted by davidf View Post
    We tried watching the Royal International Air Tattoo from canoe last week and almost fell out as the planes buzzed over our heads! Great fun though and some amazing pictures
    I know what you mean, a group of us paddled from Cricklade to Lechlade on the Saturday of the Fairford show. I nearly flipped the canoe trying to get a good look at the aircraft.

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

But, very much now, due to spending too many hours on the road just lately, and the fact that this year is the Royal Air Forces 100th Anniversary

My grandad was in The RAF in 1918 when it was formed.

And was in the Royal Flying Corps before that.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Making now the best of the remnants of a very, very late plan....I should have thought this through well beforehand!

And judging now by the above replies, and various family connections, I think now that 'An Airshow Paddle' may now need to be added to the annual paddling criteria.....it's just a thought, that's all!

Sk8r..
    I thought for a mo that that pic above was A10 Warthogs in formation .....and dug in deep!

It looked scary!

But not as scary as Mr. Trump flying over Henley last week-end in an Osprey, with 9 Apache helicopter outriders...that was pretty cool, as far as air shows go!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 21st-July-2018 at 11:11 PM.

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>

Sk8r..
    I thought for a mo that that pic above was A10 Warthogs in formation .....and dug in deep!

It looked scary!

But not as scary as Mr. Trump flying over Henley last week-end in an Osprey, with 9 Apache helicopter outriders...that was pretty cool, as far as air shows go!
    The Warthog wasn't around back when, but there were times when I was deeply truly passionately in love with their predecessor, the A-6 Intruder.... lovely airplanes when they did what they did....

The Osprey is since my time, obviously, but yeah it's a cool airplane......

Well, without the canoe, we came, we saw and then, almost conquered!

We did however, get to see some of the highlights..starting with the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.... (A Supermarine Spitfire, Lancaster bomber and a Hurricane...heart thumping stuff!)

Still reckon that the view would have been a lot better from a canoe on the nearby Basingstoke Canal though...

All a bit too busy here for me....

and then this happened!

"It's just not cricket, is it!"

Whereas...

This actually is one!

Keeping this brief now....can't go now without a nod the British Harrier jump-jet....

and fellow whining Falklands War veteran! (Though these planes did us proud during this campaign, I would like one day to meet the two pilots and their navigators who flew at about 100 ft above the ground in broad daylight, up an over Mt. Longdon...as two young Paratroopers were crawling up and recceing the Argentine defences......!!! The blast off those two aircraft nearly ripped the smocks off our backs (and it hurt some!)...and woke up every body on that hill!...

The rest of this airshow was very much dominated by the American F-16....AND IT WAS AWESOME!

There was also a fly by an American Mitchel Bomber, Lockheed Lightning and a Navy Corsair....all just as awesome considering their pedigree.

For me though, my son and the madding crowd....

There can be only one! (Once the brollies are down! )

The Red Arrows!

Red One to Red Nine!

MB

`..`. ><(((( ((>
    `..`..`. ><((((>