Thread: Drought? - what drought.

Default Drought? - what drought.

After months of staring at the weather, and thinking I must get on the river, I finally found my way back to The Medway today. The SE has a maor drought apparently. We haven't been able to use our hosepipes since spring last year. Well thank god is all I can say. If there had been any more water in the Medway I reckon it would burst its banks. I can't remember seeing it so full.

Hastings Canoe club had set up a slalom at the weir pool and bridge at Yalding, and the very big water coming through, plus the ample opportunity to seriouly embarrass myself sent me of to Teston Lock to see if things were any easier. They were, but not by much. The water was lapping over hard standing at the lock itself, and pouring through the suice and weir leaving a good couple of hundred yards of GdI/II water (On The Medway!). The water was moving much faster than I was prepared for, and coupled with strong winds (inconveniently blowing in exactly the same direction as the current), meant I didn't get very far, bearing in mind I needed to get back to my car!

I'm not used to having a current to contend with. I think I'll have to start heading downriver and finding someway to get back to my car! If only the wind would leave off I might have had a chance. Still managed not to fall in I suppose.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Glad to hear you stayed dry. We certainly do not have a drought up here but I have heard people saying the river levels are low. The Loch near me has been at a high level for months now but I suppose rivers fluctuate more with the rain.
    John

Approximatly 3 weeks ago, in a bid to find paddleing spots I called Bwel Water, a massive lake / resovoir, this lake has featured in the local news several times stating that is is only 30% full.

Whilst chatting with the lady at their outdoor office I asked if the lake was any more full than I had seen on the local news a few weeks earlier, she laughed, and said "yes it now 90% full", and she could not understand why the local news had not been back to tell the public that there was no longer a serious problem.

WHATS GOING ON HERE, IS THE WOOOL BEING PULLED OVER OUR EYES ?????

From what I have gathered, I believe they have had a special drought order giving them permission to refill Bewl Water from The Medway and The Rother, hence its higher level. I think that order has just ended, though they're likely to re-apply.

Out of interest, what did they say about paddling there? I asked last year and was told I had to be a member of Bewl Canoe Club. Not exactly convenient!
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

my understanding of the problem in the SE is not so much surface water, that can change with the weather but the underground aquifers that serve most of the SE [chalk over clay] are at a very low level and will take a number of years to replenish. The abstraction is still faster than the replenishment, which in time might lead to denser saline groundwater being able to move upeard and contaminating the boreholes in some areas...... and lets not start on the polluted stuff working itself down to the groundwater strata
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matto
    Out of interest, what did they say about paddling there? I asked last year and was told I had to be a member of Bewl Canoe Club. Not exactly convenient!
    The situation is still the same, good init!