Thread: Macclesfield Canal

Default Macclesfield Canal

I'm thinking of doing the Macclesfield Canal canoe trial as a there and back over a couple of days and was wondering if anyone knows if canal side camping is available anywhere though ideally near Bosley top lock? Wild or with permission from local farmer would be preferable.

https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/u...-Canal-WEB.pdf

It'll go towards the 60 miles I'm hoping to clock up for this challenge.

https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/g...ddle-challenge

I only live a few miles from Bosley Locks so know the area well, there are no camp sites next to the canal that I know of but there is a good wild camp site just below the bottom lock. After the last lock is an old rail bridge, the disused track goes through a wood on the side opposite to the tow path, I have seen wild campers just inside the wood and no one seems to object as the wood is not used.

Next to the second lock down is a toilet block and lock keepers cottage, there is a grass area next to the toilet block big enough for a small tent, but you would have to get permission.
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

Thanks cloudman - that's really helpful info. Do you know who you'd have to get permission from to stay by the lock at the top - would that be Canal and Riverside Trust?

This thread may help with regard to camping by the canal

Thanks Chris, I have contacted the local authority in the past and have camped by a lock on the Caldon a couple of times - only questions were from interested people out for a walk.

Quote Originally Posted by ictoaun View Post
    Thanks cloudman - that's really helpful info. Do you know who you'd have to get permission from to stay by the lock at the top - would that be Canal and Riverside Trust?
    I am not sure but I think the lock keepers cottage next to the toilet block is still lived in by a lock keeper, I would just give them a knock and if no luck go to the site I mentioned.

I think asking for permission in advance from the CRT is too restricting, just find a quiet place, camp late, leave early and leave no mess. The CRT is a charity and they are falling over themselves to encorage more people to use the canals. Log on to their website to see how hard they are trying to get people involved, if you register your email you will get a regular monthly update on activity.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy...ke-up-canoeing
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.