Thread: SUP Trent 100 & Access Statement

Default SUP Trent 100 & Access Statement

I see the organisers of Trent 100 have seen fit to send the same message to angling clubs in the area that they sent last year. I find the last sentence quite troubling, I've highlighted it below. I contacted Trent100 last year asking them to rephrase it unfortunately they have not followed my request. Would anyone be going to this event and be able to have a word with the organisers? We should be promoting responsible shared access for all andTrent100 seem to be doing the exact opposite

River Trent - Event 3/4th August

Dear Fishing Club,

I am writing to inform you of a charity event taking place on the River Trent on the 3rd/4th of August 2018. We are bringing a number of stand up paddle boarders down the Trent from Shugborough Hall to Nottingham Trent Bridge. They will be travelling past your fishing club within approximately a one-hour window. They set off from Shugboruough Hall at 9am on Friday the 3rd to finish overnight and Barton-Upon-Trent carries on the 4th to Nottingham Trent Bridge setting off between 8-9am. If you would like to know the estimated window please let us know.

We have put in place strict guidelines for avoiding fishing lines and disturbance and made it clear that any infractions of the rules will not be tolerated.
    Our aim is to cause you no disturbance at all and pass by very quietly. We appreciate your members will have paid to have the right to a quiet fishing spot and we respect that.
    We are coarse and sea anglers ourselves and now actually fish from angler specific stand up paddle boards which we are more than happy to come and talk to you about if any of your members would be interested.
    The event is licenced by the Canal and River Trust and insured by British Canoeing. We hope this will become an annual event only and we want to support you by reinforcing the areas of the River Trent that are NOT public access to discourage leisure paddlers

appalling! how dare they think they can reinforce discouraging leisure paddling,
    fishing clubs choose to pay for exclusive fishing rights NOT exclusive river rights!!
    all river users pay a licence to use the river.
    this needs taking up with the organisers as they obviously do not have river users at heart and re only sucking up as it suits them.
    nature is m X-box

Are British Canoeing aware of this statement, considering they are clearly linked to the event?

I have contacted Ben Seal at British Canoeing to let him know. I dont think British Canoeing are actually linked to the event other than helping with the insurance side. That's one of the problem with the statements, at a glance it reads like this is British Canoeings opinion on access which it clearly isn't.

Romsey, Paddle estuaries within an hour, also club member and coach, and scout canoeing helper

I've 2 references to the river Penk being usable or used by boats. In 1751 there was a was proposal to use the Penk (and Smethall) to link the Trent to the Severn. There was a canoe accident on the Penk in 1867. the Penk falls into the Sow which falls into the Trent at Shugborough. Implies the Trent was navigable at Shugborough in 1751
    Brevan,
    The truth (about Rights of Navigation) is out there
    Romsey, Hampshire
    Twitter: BrevanM
    Follow my blog at http://riveraccessrights.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Brevan View Post
    I've 2 references to the river Penk being usable or used by boats. In 1751 there was a was proposal to use the Penk (and Smethall) to link the Trent to the Severn. There was a canoe accident on the Penk in 1867. the Penk falls into the Sow which falls into the Trent at Shugborough. Implies the Trent was navigable at Shugborough in 1751
    Great info Brevan thanks from me and i'm sure thanks from the rest of the paddling community too. I've seen you post this sort of information on other rivers. Where do you manage to find it?

Romsey, Paddle estuaries within an hour, also club member and coach, and scout canoeing helper

Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    Great info Brevan thanks from me and i'm sure thanks from the rest of the paddling community too. I've seen you post this sort of information on other rivers. Where do you manage to find it?
    Online searches mainly - Google books was a good source as they used to show a good range of results (but not any more, perhaps I have been too active?) and even if the book wasn't fully available they would show snippet views so you could track down a copy and check.

The Welsh National Library has put Welsh newspapers online for 1800-1920ish. see http://newspapers.library.wales/home

I also have access to other sources because I work at a University, again newspapers, journals and books. This includes legal case reports, acts of parliament and other historical records.

Also browsing libraries and bookshops.

The key things are
    • the search terms used looking for any use of boats or craft on rivers- e.g. 'Canoe River Navigable' or 'River Timber Floated' or 'River Coracle Drowned' or 'River Common Highway'
    • Places - non tidal sections of river without any other source of rights of navigation which would show use of boats on rivers has always happened
    • Dates (typically pre 1960) which are before relevant court cases, or acts of parliament, or any evidence of use by permission.
    • References to use of boats or other craft for travelling or other purposes. e.g. carriage of goods by river.

The aim is to build up a detailed body of evidence of the history of (public) use of rivers which can be used to question why we now need permission to use those rivers where there is no (statutory) navigation right.
    It might also prove useful in any legal dispute - after all the river Spey case (Wills Trustees V Cairngorn Sailing School) in Scotland was overturned on evidence of past use of the river for floating timber down.
    It may also influence decisions about new policy.

If anyone wants to get involved I'm happy to provide more detailed advice - especially if you have time and access to some great local sources of information

Brevan
    Brevan,
    The truth (about Rights of Navigation) is out there
    Romsey, Hampshire
    Twitter: BrevanM
    Follow my blog at http://riveraccessrights.blogspot.com/

Hi Smurf,
    Did you get a response from the British Canoeing. From the wording of the letter it appears to be an angling organisation running the event & using the BC insurance to give the impression that BC agree with their interpretation of the law.
    Ken

Ben at British Canoeing got intouch with them and is planning a follow up i think. It's not a fishing club organising, its a SUP club with ties to Derby rowing club so I just think they are not up to speed with the latest views on river access.
    Its frustrating though as I contacted them last year asking them to change the wording of their message to the local fishing clubs. The message is basically fine apart from the last sentence which is unnecessary.

Thanks Smurf,
    I agree it is the last sentence which causes the problem. Thanks for clarification, it was the phrase 'We are coarse and sea anglers ourselves' that made me suspect it was an angling organisation, sorry if I have caused any confusion.
    Ken