Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: help too much choice out there

  1. #1

    Default help too much choice out there

    hi after looking at the hou canoes and many other brands ive hit a wall the choice it huge can anyone recommend a canoe I'm 5ft 4 in height and looking for a canoe that has 1 or 2 seats and able to carry some gear for camping and light enough to load onto a car mainly used for Scottish lochs and the odd river, thanks any help would be much appreciated .[ am not stuck for local lochs have a few close within 2 to 10 mile] thanks guys....colin.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    3,464

    Default

    Stating what your budget is and what sort of weight canoe you can manage would be very helpful, otherwise you'll get all sorts of suggestions, many of which won't be useful.
    Are you male or female ? Not being sexist, but in general, men can manage heavier canoes than ladies.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    774

    Default

    Hi Colin

    Welcome to the forum. I noticed you were looking in the wanted section for your canoe. Can't help you with that I'm afraid but if a new canoe is in your budget I'd be happy to help with the Apache range.

    Cheers

    Mark
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

    http://apachecanoes.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Enkhuizen
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cwbb View Post
    hi after looking at the hou canoes and many other brands ive hit a wall the choice it huge can anyone recommend a canoe I'm 5ft 4 in height and looking for a canoe that has 1 or 2 seats and able to carry some gear for camping and light enough to load onto a car mainly used for Scottish lochs and the odd river, thanks any help would be much appreciated .[ am not stuck for local lochs have a few close within 2 to 10 mile] thanks guys....colin.
    For choosing a suitable canoe it is not so much your height that is important to know, but your weight, and that of the load you are taking in the canoe. You don't want a canoe that is too small for your purpose but also not too big as that won't make paddling easier -- especially with strong winds.
    If you have to choose between a little bigger than you need or a little smaller, it is preferable to choose a bit bigger -- 20% underload is acceptable. But if you really know what you are doing, 10% overload can be acceptable -- but then you already know this...

    Beware though that most canoe builders do not give the right information about the 'performance' capacity of their canoes, that is often far less than the maximum or 6" freeboard capacity they advertise -- sometimes not even half of that.
    I once had a 4.9 m tandem canoe with a load volume of 544 kg (1200 lb), but it only performed really well with loads below 200 kg (441 lb).

    Dirk Barends

  5. #5

    Default

    hi old man thanks for swift reply ,im male 55 years old, budget would be around 1000/1500 could prob get a 50lb/80lb canoe on car.
    Last edited by cwbb; 25th-July-2018 at 07:39 AM.

  6. #6

    Default

    thanks dirk, im around 12 stone 5lb ,cheers for reply mate and the information.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MultiMark View Post
    Hi Colin

    Welcome to the forum. I noticed you were looking in the wanted section for your canoe. Can't help you with that I'm afraid but if a new canoe is in your budget I'd be happy to help with the Apache range.

    Cheers

    Mark
    hi mark many thanks I will look at the apache website cheers much appreciated.....colin.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    3,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cwbb View Post
    hi old man thanks for swift reply ,im male 55 years old, fit as cycle thousands of miles per year budget would be around 1000 could prob get a 50lb+ canoe on car.
    Living in Scotland will limit your choice unless you're willing to travel or buy new.
    50lbs is only about 23kgs which is bringing you down into composite territory which is where prices start to get higher. You may well have to compromise with the weight and/or price unless you really want a Hou, or somebody on here comes up with something that will suit you.
    With regard to weight, don't take manufacturers stated weights as gospel, many have been known to use poetic licence with stated weights . If you find a canoe you think you like, always try to get a test paddle and also find out if you can handle it easily enough off the water.

    One boat that springs to mind is a used Wenonah Wilderness in either Royalex or Tuffweave if you can find one.
    Also, in the classifieds there's a Nova Craft Bob Special for sale which should fit your criteria. It might have sold by now but the owner hasn't stated that it has.
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...yalex-for-sale

    Other than that, wait and see what crops up on here or E Bay, that you think may suit,and if you're not sure then ask us more questions about it.
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 11th-July-2018 at 10:12 AM.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Living in Scotland will limit your choice unless you're willing to travel or buy new.
    50lbs is only about 23kgs which is bringing you down into composite territory which is where prices start to get higher. You may well have to compromise with the weight and/or price unless you really want a Hou, or somebody on here comes up with something that will suit you.
    With regard to weight, don't take manufacturers stated weights as gospel, many have been known to use poetic licence with stated weights . If you find a canoe you think you like, always try to get a test paddle and also find out if you can handle it easily enough off the water.

    One boat that springs to mind is a used Wenonah Wilderness in either Royalex or Tuffweave if you can find one.
    Also, in the classifieds there's a Nova Craft Bob Special for sale which should fit your criteria. It might have sold by now but the owner hasn't stated that it has.
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...yalex-for-sale

    Other than that, wait and see what crops up on here or E Bay, that you think may suit,and if you're not sure then ask us more questions about it.
    Thanks mate lol I meant kilos not pound but would prob be better around 40 kilo or less as for budget I would not go over the 1000 as there are other costs and gear to buy still think im better going down 2nd had route thankyou will have a look at link you mentioned cheers have a good day

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •