Thread: Could someone take a look..

Default Could someone take a look..

Hi all, Iíve seen a canoe on eBay which looks like it might be a good starter for me but its not branded, i think its a self build and wondering if someone would have a look for me

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/canadian-...sAAOSwPvRbPomj

I am looking for a solo boat which is stable enough for a novicy paddler ( got my main strokes down and can steer but panic a bit on the bouncy windy stuff) but light enough for a short unfit woman to car top
    any help appreciated.

At 10 feet 6 inches long and only 10 inches deep, it's rather small. It certainly wouldn't suit me, but you say you're small so it may suit you, but I wouldn't fancy taking it on bouncy, windy stuff.
    The seller shows no pics of the hull shape, nor does he state what shape it is, so until you know that, you'll have no idea of its stability. Generally short canoes are less stable than their larger counterparts. I'd say paddle it before you buy, which obviously isn't likely considering where you live in relation to where the boat is.

My advice would be if you have a bigger budget, is speak to Apache canoes who are much nearer to home for you. They are nowhere as cheap as they used to be, but there will be something in their stable that should suit you, and if nothing else, Stu (the owner) will give you sound advice on what you need.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Thanks, Old Man, that’s really helpful. I paddled a Hou 14 solo yesterday very comfortably so i’m suspecting that’s probably nearer what i need but I’m short of budget so looking around.

Rog Watkinson Boat Builder | LinkedIn Its rather short, but obviously is and can be paddled.

These shorter canoes tend to be rather harder to steer.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Looking at the seat position I'd say that more designed to be paddled with a double blade like a kayak
    A bit like the Hornbeck canoes

Did you try and look for an inflatable kayak? Here are 3 some popular Sevylor kayaks out there. If not you can check the Sevylor website itself than contact any marine store and they will supply it for you!

This is a fiber glass kayak. It might be heavier than it look!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny G View Post
    This is a fiber glass kayak. It might be heavier than it look!
    It weighed 17 kilo's.Just because it's glass doesn't mean it'll be heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus2 View Post
    It weighed 17 kilos.
    Just because it's glass doesn't mean it'll be heavy.
    Agree! I was just pointing it out that it might be heavier than the inflatable ones. Think about if you add some more kit to it than the weight will go up! Didn't say is something wrong with that either! If he believes that is the best fit for him than we can't stop that can we?

Btw! Worked some years ago as a GRP laminator (building spoilers and GRP parts of lorries and trucks). Some of the fibreglass parts can be really heavy though depends on how many layers of glass you add, the quantity of resin and type. Enforcement and so on.