Thread: Suggests for kit

Default Suggests for kit

Hi new to this have the usual bouncy aids for me and the family and have sorted a wetsuit for my 4 year old and my partner and son have rubber shoes but I was going to use my trail running shoes that are old but still lots of grip. Can anyone make any suggestions that would be useful kit wise? Going to the Lake District to camp right next to Derwentwater with the camping and caravning club and get some experience.

Hey again.

To be honest, mate, you don't really need much apart from the canoe, paddles and buoyancy aids. Drybags are probably the most obvious thing, and painters (lines). Clothing and footwear can just be standard outdoor/walking wear most of the time.

Of course there ARE loads of things you CAN spend money on, and most of us end up with a host of extra things eventually, from fireboxes to throwlines, airbags to safety knives and an ever growing number of boats and paddles...but none of them are essential at the start.

Got airbags today as was worried if it capsizes don’t want it to sink and my son have nothing to hold onto except his bouncy aid. What is a firebox?

One of life's camping luxuries that just seems to go perfectly with canoeing:

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...omad-Fireboxes

Very smart like that

Get some cheap Karrimor dry bags from sports direct to start off so you have dry storage.
    Id put a decent whistle into your BA to attract attention and an entry level river knife ... just in case there is an issue ... also not expensive.
    A bit of floating rope for painters and you are not far off to start off.

Believe me, you’ll end up with other gear but that’s for later.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

Fab thank u guys