Thread: Saying hi. And eager to learn

Default Saying hi. And eager to learn

Hi, recently decided to get into down river multi day trips.
    Probably just me & my daughter tbh. We've already got a sevylor Alameda inflatable which we've used a fair amount paddling lakes & canal.

I'm thinking of getting a performance tandam , as we're both quite small I'm thinking something like a Wenonah escapade would be suitable?? River Wye, Severn nothing too serious whitewater wise. Then maybe onto the Ardeche in France next year all being well.

Anyway im really glad to be getting on the water .

Hello and Welcome!

To be honest, for your initial trips, any reasonable tandem will do. The Wye and the Severn would be a fantastic place to go with your daughter. The Escapade might well be a good option for you, though if you do anything other than really easy slow water you might find its lack of "rocker" makes it harder to turn.

It will largely depend on budget, and what is available. If you give us an idea of how much you're wanting to spend, you might get better advice, though as the Escapade is a quality canoe I'm assuming you've got a reasonable amount earmarked. You might also look at things like the Novacraft Pal in Tuffstuff - a good slower water canoe with the ability to carry a decent amount of gear and do modest moving water. Apache canoes would also definitely be worth a look.

The Ardeche gorge is a different thing entirely in an open canoe, for which you will need a reasonable amount of whitewater experience. There are lots of other French rivers which might be great alternatives if you're not ready by next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    The Ardeche gorge is a different thing entirely in an open canoe, for which you will need a reasonable amount of whitewater experience. There are lots of other French rivers which might be great alternatives if you're not ready by next summer.
    what Mal said about the Ardeche without some real moving water experience in an open.
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

Thanks, for your input.
    What would be a good UK river other than the Wye & Severn to get some experience on

Thanks, for your input.
    What would be a good UK river other than the Wye & Severn to get some experience on

The wye and severn would give you good experience in paddling with loaded canoes which would be needed, then I would be looking at doing some tandem white water practice on Grade 2 and easy 3 sections of rivers.
    Which rivers would depend on the area that you live.

You also need to think and practice what you are going to do when something goes wrong, so both yourself and your daughter need to be comfortable in swimming in that environment.

Well I'm in the Midlands, so any good stretches of easy white water within a couple hrs drive is doable. Also got a motorhome so luxury overnighting and further trips is an option