Thread: Summer Isles and Loch Laxford

Default Summer Isles and Loch Laxford

Ive lurked here for a few years now reading the trip reports and researching locations through them, but ive never actually posted a trip report. Mainly because im not much of a writer, and not much of a photographer. I also didnt have a camera, which didnt help. But i bought a cheap action camera and took it on my recent trip this past week to the Summer Isles,Handa Island, Loch laxford and Sandwood Bay. You get what you pay for though, and the images arent very good Everything looks very far away in it, and i thought i had plenty of videos of seals and birds, but they are barely visible. So ive ripped the odd image to give people a blurry impression of what these areas look like.

And to top it all off, im a kayaker ! Though its a sit on top, so im really a half breed scorned by both sides

Sunday i drove up to the summer isles, getting there late in the day, so i parked at Achnahaird Bay and had a walk to the beach and along the cliffs.

Monday morning i drove round to park on the large grassy area on the shore between Polbain and Achiltibuie. Kayak straight off the roof, across the stony beach and into the water. Doesnt get much easier.
    Conditions were pretty good, not much wind and no rough stuff untill my final crossing back to the mainland. Saw a couple of seals on Tanera Mor, and lots of jelly fish.

Isle Ristol on the right with the Summer Isles behind

Launch point

Looking back to the launch point from Tanera mor, on a beach north of the harbor

Looking towards the south point of Tanera Beg, where there is a natural arch

Arch

Pretending im in a cave

From the arch back across towards Tanera Mor

From the arch south towards the further out islands, and the mainland in the distance. Still fairly new at this so played it safe and didnt venture out to these ones as the crossings are a bit bigger. Always next time !

Beach on the southwest of Tanera mor

Headed back around to the Harbor on Tanera Mor, then back across to the mainland. Wish id spent another day here exploring Isle ristol and some of the other islands a bit more, but i packed up and headed further north, staying the night in a layby just beyond Kylesku.

Tuesday,my intention was to visit the islands in Badcall Bay. There is a slipway beside the fish farm building in Lower badcall, with a sign saying no unauthorised access at the road in, but i had read to ignore this as it is a public slipway. It looked fairly busy when i arrived though.I also hadnt noticed i was blocking the road for a pickup who had sneaked up behind me, sorry!, so i decided not to stick around and went on to Scourie instead

Planned to launch at Scourie and go to Handa island, but it looked a bit rough, so i drove on to Tarbet and launched from where the passenger ferry leaves. I forgot the camera,so no pictures, but i only went around the small islands and along the coast a bit, as it was pretty rough on the outside exposed areas, so i never crossed over to Handa.

Back on the road again, and i headed to Loch laxford, parking at the boathouse just off the road as it turns north towards Rhiconich. Another easy launch point across a stony beach into the water meters from your parking spot.

Had a short paddle of about a mile to a pebble beach to have my lunch and kill the rest of the day. Unfortunately, i forgot my lunch and also fell asleep after taking this picture. Still a bit sore from the sunburn

Wednesday, i set off in the morning for a better exploration of Laxford, heading up the south coast to Foindle, exploring the little islands and inlets as i went. Water is nice and clear, can see right to the bottom even at fairly deep parts. Lots of jelly fish again.Paddled a bit (over?) cautiously incase i scooped one up with the paddle and had it slide down onto my hands!

Lots of little fish about too, though my camera hardly picks them up

Sunburn Beach looking west.

Sunburn beach looking across to the north shore.Another nice beach with what looked like a decent camping spot just to the right

From the north shore looking back across to Sunburn beach on the south. Two seal heads visible, though there were 5 at this point in the water and around the little island to the right.

Looking south east along Laxford. Ben Stack in the distance and Arkle on the left maybe?

Finished paddling by afternoon, and headed off towards Blairmore to park for the walk in to Sandwood Bay. Started walking for about 4.30, which was good timing as i reached Sandwood just as the last people were leaving, so i had it all to myself apart from someone camping.

Not sure id like to attempt landing or launching here. Cape wrath in the distance. Cant see it in the picture, but i thought i could just see the tip of the lighthouse, but it might not have been it.

Looking towards Blairmore on my way back.

Thursday i decided to drive down to loch Maree to break up the distance for the drive home on Friday, but i ended up going down the road through torridon before parking up near invergarry, and heading home on Friday.

Enjoyed my trip, weather was fairly hot but a nice breeze most of the time to cool it down a bit, but not too windy most days for paddling. Summer isles is a worthwhile destination for anyone. Across to Tanera Mor is only 1km or so if you hug the coast, and then you have the shelter of the islands, as long as you dont venture out around the exposed sides. Didnt spot many great landing spots for camping, but maybe at diffrent states of tide it would be better.
    Loch Laxford is also pretty interesting with lots of diffrent islands and inlets to explore, i never even got up to western end of it or Loch Chadh Fi, though again good landing spots looked limited.

Now im off to get a better camera for next time !

That looks like a superb trip, the coast up there is amongst the best in the world.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Mal. The lochs at Kylesku were a possibility also after reading your back of beyond trip report there, but i decided to leave them for a multi day camping trip in future.

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

All beautiful places.

I've had some great times paddling there too.

Thanks for sharing.

Aaaargh, that's what Mal said. OK, I will say - lovely blog, thanks for posting it.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Journal Entries

Nothing wrong with those pictures. Looking forward to your next blogg

Yeah, they actually dont look too bad now. Viewing them on my computer and through the video editing program they seemed very blurry.Maybe the program cleared them up when i exported the images or something? No idea, it worked so that'll do.

Things still look a bit further away and darker than they actually were, but maybe thats just how the little action cameras are? The first 4 pics were with my phone camera, which are a bit clearer compared to the fifth. Doesnt really matter, not going for any photography awards here

You are getting out there and taking the trouble to share it with us ... much appreciated
    thanks for sharing .... doh, not again
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    ”We will make your trip work”

Journal Entries

The wide angle lens on action cameras does make everything seem much further away.

Default Dream

Your trip is dream for one painter in Finland…
    Thank you for this!

Great pics showing the area and weather last week round the Summer Isles especially as we were there on the 1st / 2nd of July as well although we were sailing through the area. Stopped in the bay on the south of Tenara Beg.met a couple of Dutch kayakers there.

Thanks.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    The wide angle lens on action cameras does make everything seem much further away.
    Ah that would be why then

Quote Originally Posted by Chrish View Post
    Great pics showing the area and weather last week round the Summer Isles especially as we were there on the 1st / 2nd of July as well although we were sailing through the area. Stopped in the bay on the south of Tenara Beg.met a couple of Dutch kayakers there.

Thanks.
    You know, i think i may have saw you on monday the 2nd. Going round the north side of Tanera beg heading west between Tanera Beg and Eilean a Char?. Cant remember what time, must of been between 10 and 12. Can just make out the boat in this image.

When i went to the arch on the south point of tanera beg, i went around slightly and looked into the southern bay and saw a kayak pulled up on the shore, so sounds like it was you. I was at work today as well speaking to an old guy who walks by often, and turns out his family were up at some of the same parts last week also. Funny that

Scary! That could well be us (disguised canoe of course or I’ll. get drummed out of here!).

Small world, eh. Fantastic place to visit.

Sitting at anchor in a drizzly Lochaline heading south and home for this weekend needing some of last weeks weather.
    Chris