Thread: Homemade Firebox

Default Homemade Firebox

Here is my first attempt at a firebox,

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

It measures 200x200x160mm and weighs a whopping 3kg.

I made it from 2mm steel which is probably overkill?? anyways.... I will give it a test run tonight and hopefully it works alright. If anyone wants a copy of the file they are welcome to it. And any advice on getting the weight down if you have made them before?

Cheers,

Dan.

Looks good.

Looks excellent

The firebox worked well, it is very rigid and stable but over engineered for the purpose I think.

It definitely could be lighter but i'm not sure how thin to go with the steel. I think 1.5mm would be fine and would end up weighing around 2.25kg. But would be tempted to go to 1mm and take the weight down to 1.5kg but am not sure if this would adversely affect rigidity and warping?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm a little confused by the top plate. Is the firebox just for lighting camp fires in? Or do you intend to cook on it? If cooking, and you block the hole with a pot or pan, what happens to the flames etc?
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

the heavy duty yukon weighs about the same. not sure what the limit is but too thin, and it will warp from the heat.
    if you feel bad about the weight you can always go titanium

Good point about the pan blocking the hole, I may have to make a grid to lift the pan up on this one. I will amend the design for the next one which will be made from 0.5mm titanium, or if I can’t find any of that then 1.5mm mild steel

I am a woodworker rather than metal and I understand the steel may warp with heat but would this be a major problem? Would it relax again as it cooled or mishape for good?

if it's properly warped then it will stay like that. chris randall and johndavy have made fireboxes for people here on the forum. i'm sure you can also contact them for advice. chris' site has some specs of them: http://canoepaddler.me.uk/Products.php

sounds like you could go thinner with the steel, 1.5 or even 1.2mm.
    i have the heavy duty yukon which is 1.5mm and has only very slight warping (does not affect assembly or folding it up) after many years of heavy duty use

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    I'm a little confused by the top plate. Is the firebox just for lighting camp fires in? Or do you intend to cook on it? If cooking, and you block the hole with a pot or pan, what happens to the flames etc?
    When I use my heavy duty Yukon with its similar top plate, I just place the pan so there's still a crack at the back of the hole. As you say, if the whole is blocked it doesn't burn as well.

Mine is warped, but perfectly usable, after about 8 years frequent use.