Thread: Getting in at the deep end.

1. Default Getting in at the deep end.

Hello everyone.

I'm new to canoeing and new to the forum. I wanted to make a canoe for a long time, despite having only been out on one a few times. A few friends and I planned a three day trip around Lough Erne, Fermanagh, at the end of July, so that became my deadline.

Now that the canoe is nearly finished and the trip is looming, I realise how little I know and a search took me here.

I'll be reading around all the different forums to gather up all useful info, but any advice is greatly appreciated.

The basic shape i built is the Wabnaki from Building a Strip Canoe, with some modifications from Canoe Craft. I found Canoe Craft more useful, and would highly recommend it but both books are great.

Anyways. Looking forward to getting to know folks and maybe meeting up with anyone nearby! I'm based in Co Down, Northern Ireland.

Hello and Welcome!

Wow, those are lovely looking canoes, bet you can't wait to get her wet!

There are a fair few folk over in NI, seems to be one of the fastest growing regions for open canoeing. And you seem to have water over there!

Have you picked up on the Ulster Canoe Festival, 31/8-2/9? It'll be a great event: https://www.ulstercanoefestival.com/

3. Default

There does seem to be a busy community, now that I have started looking. More than I expected! I definitely will be looking into getting to the festival at the end of August. Would be a perfect opportunity to meet folk and acquire some skills.

Welcome to the forum. Can't wait to see some photos of your new build. There are quite a few paddlers in the Co Down area so you should be able to meet up with some of us and get some tips.

Lough Erne will be a great place to spend time getting to know your new craft. Keep an eye out for Mr Nick's blogs as he does a lot of paddling and blogging about that part of the world.

In the meantime, happy paddling and I hope to meet you on the water sometime.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Can't wait to see some photos of your new build. There are quite a few paddlers in the Co Down area so you should be able to meet up with some of us and get some tips.

Lough Erne will be a great place to spend time getting to know your new craft. Keep an eye out for Mr Nick's blogs as he does a lot of paddling and blogging about that part of the world.

In the meantime, happy paddling and I hope to meet you on the water sometime.
    Thanks big Al. I'll post some pics when I'm done. Hopefully soon, it's been a long ol' project!

I'll keep an eye out for Mr Nick too, Cheers.