Thread: Loch Achilty, anyone canoed it

Default Loch Achilty, anyone canoed it

Hi All
    Looking at stopping close to that above Loch And was wondering has anyone canoed it? Or more so are you aloud to Canoe on it
    Regards
    Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't see any reason why you couldn't, you can launch without crossing private land, and its Scotland so access will be fine. Its been added to Paddle Points: http://www.paddlepoints.net/PaddlePoints.php?PP=4002

Not very big though!

A nice little loch and an easy launch from the car park at the western end.

Also worth making the trip up Strathconon to Loch Beannacharain, easy launch close to the car park, you will also pass Loch Meig on the way there, not so easy to find somewhere to park and launch. Avoid the area round the dam. Also Loch Achonachie on the same road, has hydro power station outlet on southern shore to avoid and also a power station intake at the dam.

A very nice valley to visit as not so popular as others.

Great thanks guys, thinking of hiring a lodge up there called Achilty lodges, is it a good area to stay? Peaceful yet not to far to explore the highlands? Is there a must see in that area with ing 1.5hrs travel,
    Thanks for your reply guys

You're within an hour of some of the most stunning bits of Scotland, especially the likes of Torridon, Loch Maree and the Fisherfield Forest. Assynt within the hour and a half too. You're going to be spoilt for choice. I'd advise not to try and do too much though, there will be some fabulous places near to had as well, and you don't want to spend the whole holiday in the car.

Glen Affric, great for a canoe trip or a walk.

Check out the tide times and go looking for dolphins from Chanonry Point near Fortrose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    You're within an hour of some of the most stunning bits of Scotland, especially the likes of Torridon, Loch Maree and the Fisherfield Forest. Assynt within the hour and a half too. You're going to be spoilt for choice. I'd advise not to try and do too much though, there will be some fabulous places near to had as well, and you don't want to spend the whole holiday in the car.
    Love this advice Mal your right Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
    Glen Affric, great for a canoe trip or a walk.

Check out the tide times and go looking for dolphins from Chanonry Point near Fortrose.
    Wow yeah sounds really nice, canít wait to get up there now, Thanks Glen