Thread: Greeting from NI 😊

Default Greeting from NI 😊

Greetings from NI… ��

Hi folks, an old guy here looking to jump aboard this community. Getting on a bit, retired and plenty of time.. and of course there is loads of water this side of the shuck. Done most things seriously, in the air, on the water and under.. but now my knees are shot from amongst other thing too much windsurfing & kitesurfing… Last time in a canoe some 35 years ago(ha ha) when I had 2 single and 1 double kayak and that were good for trips with the 2 kids…

Anyway, big lad 6’4” and far too heavy too… will probably go for a Hou 14’ solo… and once initial skills are sorted looking extended trips… exploring - camping – photography.... that sort of stuff… Lots of lightweight camping gear (also enjoy loaded cycle touring and dislike commercial campsites – well their prices really I suppose �� )

Based Ballymena way…

Incidentally, any negative thoughts on the Hou 14?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizzy View Post
    Greetings from NI… ��

Hi folks, an old guy here looking to jump aboard this community. Getting on a bit, retired and plenty of time.. and of course there is loads of water this side of the shuck. Done most things seriously, in the air, on the water and under.. but now my knees are shot from amongst other thing too much windsurfing & kitesurfing… Last time in a canoe some 35 years ago(ha ha) when I had 2 single and 1 double kayak and that were good for trips with the 2 kids…

Anyway, big lad 6’4” and far too heavy too… will probably go for a Hou 14’ solo… and once initial skills are sorted looking extended trips… exploring - camping – photography.... that sort of stuff… Lots of lightweight camping gear (also enjoy loaded cycle touring and dislike commercial campsites – well their prices really I suppose �� )

Based Ballymena way…

Incidentally, any negative thoughts on the Hou 14?
    welcome

theres a good group of paddlers around you so I’d aim to hook up with some of them. Also consider the Ulster Canoe Festival to try some gear out before buying.

Personally, I’d say a 14 may be a bit small but I’ve never paddled the Hou so can’t comment directly
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Open Canoe hire/outfitting in the Massif Central
    We will make your trip work

Hi Gizzy,
    When I read your intro I thought you were describing me. I'm also 6ft 4" retired and had a previous life windsurfing.

Welcome to the forum, you are in the perfect place to get info and tips about canoes. You are also geographically perfectly located to try out some Hou canoes as one of the members on here, M4hood (aka Gareth) lives in Antrim and he has lots of Hou canoes that you can try out.

Gareth also is a leading member of the Ulster canoe club, so a good contact to have.

I live in sunny Bangor so I hope to see you on the water sometime.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Thanks Folks...

@B.Al.... lets hope you don't have my knees ha ha.. Magic on the heads up re M4hood... sounds like just the chap I want to speak to....

Hi Gizzy, I indeed have a Hou 14 you can certainly try out (plus a few others just to confuse matters)

I am on holidays this week but due home on the 10th and I don't go back to work till the 16th so plenty of opportunities to get out and paddle with you.

We also do a few skills sessions and touring trips (guide lead) around Lough Shore Antrim, Give me a call if you are interested

Rgds
    M4hood - 07872589766

Thanks M4hood... exactly what I'm looking for, hopefully a prospector too... I'll PM you

Hello and Welcome!

I see you've already fallen in with the right crowd. Or a right crowd...

I know a few chaps who paddle a Hou 14 solo happily. Should allow for some camping gear too, but if you ever want to go tandem with other than a smallish person, or take lots of camping gear, you might want to go up a foot or two.

I have a prospector as well. I do agree with Mal for more options of a bigger canoe, however the 14 does have a lot of options. It is lighter and easier to lug about than all the other boats. and tandem isn't for everyone anyway lol!!