Thread: Outboard

Default Outboard

First of all, hi to everyone, I am new to the forum.

My my question is. I have a nova craft prospector 17 and thinking of putting a 2 stroke outboard on. In a worst case situation, if it got a bit sideways would it be possible for the motor to push and roll the canoe over? Am I thinking about it too much 😂

It certainly could. Even the little 2hp motors produce plenty of thrust; more than enough to flip you over. If it's a concern, you could install limit blocks/bars on your transom beam to stop the engine turning at a sharp angle.

That’s a great idea. Thanks

You will also need a different licence for powered craft than paddle powered.
    So we beat on,boats against the current,bourne back ceaselessly into the past.

Hello and Welcome!

If you do go down the motor route, I'd suggest a electric trolling motor. Plenty powerful enough, and much quieter, so letting you still here "The Song".

Thanks for the reply’s. I had not even considered having to have a license for it. It was a bit naive of me. The only thing about electric motors that put me off was the weed problem draining the battery. Going to have to study the license requirements now��

I think a petrol outboard would contradict most of the reasons for using a canoe;

Peace and quiet
    Easy portability (mostly)
    Cheap to licence
    Use in very shallow and obstructed little backwaters
    Peace and quiet

Don't get me wrong I am a great fan of the internal combustion engine; I used to race enduros and my current trail-bike is a 200cc Stinkwheel

For me though getting out in my canoe is the antithesis to the noise, pace and chaos of my normal life.

If I was going to go through the bother to license a powered craft, I would use something different than a canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippydog1 View Post
    That’s a great idea. Thanks
    If you do decide to go this route, I'd suggest making it so that you're able to fold/slide/roll them out of the way when you want to turn the motor more. Some small 2HP motors don't have a reverse gear, but swing about 180 to pull the craft in reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    If you do go down the motor route, I'd suggest a electric trolling motor. Plenty powerful enough, and much quieter, so letting you still here "The Song".
    I'd agree if the distances are well within range, or you're able to paddle when the battery dies. You just can't beat the range of a small petrol motor with a spare 2L bottle of fuel to get you home if you run out. For the size and weight, petrol just can't be beaten... yet.

They are noisy, stinky things though and have no place on a quite river or a still lake (IMO). But there have been times on my local estuary when I would've loved to have a small motor to help me relax and enjoy being out there rather than panting and heaving, cussing at the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    I think a petrol outboard would contradict most of the reasons for using a canoe;

Peace and quiet
    Easy portability (mostly)
    Cheap to licence
    Use in very shallow and obstructed little backwaters
    Peace and quiet

Don't get me wrong I am a great fan of the internal combustion engine; I used to race enduros and my current trail-bike is a 200cc Stinkwheel

For me though getting out in my canoe is the antithesis to the noise, pace and chaos of my normal life.

If I was going to go through the bother to license a powered craft, I would use something different than a canoe.
    The problem I had that made think of this was that last weekend we went to the Falmouth estuary, my wife and I, 2 dogs and all the camping gear needed to sleep out with food and cooking equipment.
    We set off from Feock beach and headed to Malpas for a pub lunch against the tide. We had a pub lunch and set off to Turnaware point by which time the tide had changed so we were against it again. I think the whole route was about 12 miles against the tide. Hard work!!! But a nice days canoeing. Slept like a log that night

Quote Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
    You will also need a different licence for powered craft than paddle powered.
    I have just spoken to the canoe shop where I bought mine from. They also sell electric outboards. They told me there is no requirement for a license and offer no advice on licensing when they sell one. Can you point me too some literature that shows me the requirement. Thanks

Nice steam canoe.

I have just spoken to the canoe shop where I bought mine from. They also sell electric outboards. They told me there is no requirement for a license and offer no advice on licensing when they sell one. Can you point me too some literature that shows me the requirement. Thanks
    For example.. Upper Medway boat registration charges.
    Powered boats . Definition - ' powered means mechanically propelled.
    Annual registration. Not exceeding 7.6m = 35.35 per metre.
    It's not down to the canoe shop it's the Environment agency or whoever is in charge of the particular waterway.Although they should know and advise .
    25% discount for electric engines apparently.
    Last edited by silverbirch; 4th-July-2018 at 04:09 PM.

If you paddle salt water you wont need a license.I assume you're down here somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus2 View Post
    If you paddle salt water you wont need a license.I assume you're down here somewhere.
    Kingsbridge, Devon

Kingsbridge, Devon

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Right side of the Tamar then.... CREAM FIRST!

Quote Originally Posted by Teign Beaver View Post
    PFFFT !

😂 done a couple of trips with the outboard since this message and I was glad to have it on the back against a spring tide!

�� done a couple of trips with the outboard since this message and I was glad to have it on the back against a spring tide!
    Glad to hear it - you must "zip" along with a motor

I'd be interested in seeing some photos and hear what your average speed is. I think I'd enjoy my local estuary more if I could get out on days when the wind is up or the tide is going the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by bhofmann View Post

I'd be interested in seeing some photos and hear what your average speed is. I think I'd enjoy my local estuary more if I could get out on days when the wind is up or the tide is going the wrong way.
    Here is a photo near Salcombe on the first trip. I kept it at a slow speed maybe 6 knots to get used to it. I did not try any faster than that.

Can’t seem to post pictures from my phone.

Can’t seem to post pictures from my phone.

Try the tapatalk app...

Hi Bernie, I'm thinking of setting up the simple Endless River sail... for assistance on the right ,wrong days

near salcombe on the Kingsbridge estuary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try the tapatalk app...
    Thanks for the tip !!!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00004312202532

Hopefully I will get some more detailed pictures on the Fowey estuary this weekend.

Look forward to that...

edit: Re tapatalk. If you want to use the beautiful full fat Song of the Paddle site on a pc you can still use Tapatalk to host the pics. Just copy and paste the pics link code into the regular full site post. Then you can cancel the Tapatalk upload and it'll still host the pic! I do it a lot
    Last edited by Teign Beaver; 26th-July-2018 at 06:50 AM.

a picture of the outboard mounting

I can not see clearly on my phone but it looks like your cavitation plate is only just under the water. With it that close to the surface it will not provide enough back pressure to the engine, also it will not pump water properly as it will be sucking air (turbulent water) as well. This will lead to overheating problems.
    The prop should be down under the hull with at least 4" of water over the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
    I can not see clearly on my phone but it looks like your cavitation plate is only just under the water. With it that close to the surface it will not provide enough back pressure to the engine, also it will not pump water properly as it will be sucking air (turbulent water) as well. This will lead to overheating problems.
    The prop should be down under the hull with at least 4" of water over the plate.
    Ok. Thanks for the advice. I think I will have to turn the bracket upside down so the prop is deeper in the water.

waste of a good canoe...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    waste of a good canoe...
    Best of all worlds. Every base covered.

nothing personal, but its like seeing somebody in a brand new 30K and upwards car and they have their mobile phone stuck to their ear!

do you ditch the motor if you capsize.

I would either attach a cable/line from one of the clamp handles (if I recall, they have holes in them) to a thwart in the canoe, or to a buoy in case the engine ever comes lose and drops off. In a capsize situation the motor might be heavy enough to take the canoe with it to the bottom, so a buoy might be a better idea. At least that way you'll be able to recover it if it goes down. Of course it'd need a complete overhaul after taking a bath.

Otherwise, nice to see more people out there on the water enjoying themselves in canoes (regardless of propulsion methods).

I would either attach a cable/line from one of the clamp handles (if I recall, they have holes in them) to a thwart in the canoe, or to a buoy in case the engine ever comes lose and drops off. In a capsize situation the motor might be heavy enough to take the canoe with it to the bottom, so a buoy might be a better idea. At least that way you'll be able to recover it if it goes down. Of course it'd need a complete overhaul after taking a bath.

Otherwise, nice to see more people out there on the water enjoying themselves in canoes (regardless of propulsion methods).
    thx. I do normally have a lanyard attached but thanks for the comments. I need to sort out a way of securing the motor in the event of something happening. A bout sounds great but its all space.