Thread: Bivvying on the (Welsh) Dee

Default Bivvying on the (Welsh) Dee

After tea last Thursday I thought to try out sleeping under the stars in just a bivvy bag, with no tarp. The aim was to fall asleep while looking at the sky and enjoying the wonder of the heavens.

I put in at Bangor-on-Dee and paddled down towards Farndon.

Bangor bridge.

Pickhill bridge

Fish trap

Bivvy

Unwelcome visitors

Sunset.

I saw a host of stars, four satellites and a brilliant shooting star

Sunrise. Woke up early because I was cold or I would have missed this shot.

Farewell committee.

A cuppa on a sandbank

The end. Farndon bridge

There were anglers occupying the canoe launch point so I paddled back up to an empty fishing peg. No problem.

On my way down I encountered three anglers - all were happy to exchange a few friendly words. How nice was that?

Hi 55bbug, this is very local for me but I couldn't see a decent launch point for the canoe when I did a recce, very overgrown and fishing platforms quite high from the water. Where is the canoe launch point? Is it river left heading downstream near the little lane past the hairdresser's, just before the bridge?
    Looks a lovely little trip. Used to enjoy night fishing sessions along this stretch as a youngster.

What an excellent idea! Nice one.

Just to clarify, I mean the launch point at Farndon/Holt not Bangor-on-Dee. I'm guessing you got in from the side of the Royal Oak at Bangor?

Journal Entries

I’ve recently swapped over from a hammock and tarp to a swag / bedroll specifically so I can just lie and look at the stars without a tarp in the way. Unfortunately the weather has not cooperated yet on my trips so jealous you’ve managed it.

Quote Originally Posted by meirion View Post
    Hi 55bbug, this is very local for me but I couldn't see a decent launch point for the canoe when I did a recce, very overgrown and fishing platforms quite high from the water. Where is the canoe launch point? Is it river left heading downstream near the little lane past the hairdresser's, just before the bridge?
    Looks a lovely little trip. Used to enjoy night fishing sessions along this stretch as a youngster.
    Hi Meirion, the Farndon launch/landing point is the platform just upstream from the bridge. There used to be a sign but I notice that it's gone. Yes, all the platforms are a bit overgrown, but manageable. I managed on my own - the canoe slides easily over the weeds. River is low at the moment. At more normal levels it's not so high to climb out on to the platforms. Once you're up, there's a good firm footing to work from.

Quote Originally Posted by 55bbug View Post
    Hi Meirion, the Farndon launch/landing point is the platform just upstream from the bridge. There used to be a sign but I notice that it's gone. Yes, all the platforms are a bit overgrown, but manageable. I managed on my own - the canoe slides easily over the weeds. River is low at the moment. At more normal levels it's not so high to climb out on to the platforms. Once you're up, there's a good firm footing to work from.
    Thanks, I'll pop down after work one evening and do a "proper" recce. Only looked on the old cafe side, the England side before.

It's a while since I paddled at Farndon but I'm sure we landed river right. Google Streetview seems to show an obvious possibility, at the blue van, and I think there are others further up (nominally fishing platforms so may be in use).

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
    It's a while since I paddled at Farndon but I'm sure we landed river right. Google Streetview seems to show an obvious possibility, at the blue van, and I think there are others further up (nominally fishing platforms so may be in use).
    Thanks Chris. When I went down this was occupied by anglers so couldn't really get a decent view. Looks ideal.