Thread: Hi from the South coast

Default Hi from the South coast

Hi all,

Iíve been a member for a few years now and tapped into the wonderful knowledge pool that is SOTP. Iíve only ever hired canoes in the past, mostly on the Wye. After completing a multi day trip some 16 years ago Iíve had a hankering for my own canoe. I purchased a Seyvlor 3 man job last autumn and have had it out on the Hamble a couple of times but having recently returned from a two day trip on the Wye (Ross to Monmouth) on hired canoes itís clear the inflatable just isnít cutting the mustard. Iíve bit the bullet and agreed the purchase of an Old Town Discovery 174. All being well I should be picking it up a week Saturday. I think Iím more excited than I was as a little kid on Christmas Eve. I wanted a larger canoe for longer, extended trips (that Iíll never have time to go on) and to ensure I can accommodate my better half and my two young daughters. Not sure if Iíll be able to do solo trips in it but time will tell.

I live close to the River Hamble and within easy striking distance of Chichester, Basingstoke and the New Forest. Iíd love to meet up with some like mindedís for some pointers and to give you a laugh while I hone my skills.

All the best

Rob

Hello and Welcome properly!

Congratulations on your imminent arrival. Once you've got her on top of the car, keep an eye on the Meets section, a few of us get out on the Basingstoke Canal, River Wey etc reasonably often, and beginners are always welcome.

I like the Hamble, must get back there sometime.

Hi Rob i too live within spitting distance of the Hamble. Paddled it yesterday. Was more akin to the M25 than the quiet river it often is

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks Mal. Iíll check that out.

Hi Mark. I need to get to grips with the tides on the Hamble. I always worry Iím going to get stranded somewhere or end up washed out into the Solent.

Quote Originally Posted by pompeywasp View Post
    Hi Mark. I need to get to grips with the tides on the Hamble. I always worry Iím going to get stranded somewhere or end up washed out into the Solent.
    no need to worry. sensible precautions are all that is needed. An easy option is put in at Swanwick30 mins before high tide at burseldon. Paddle up take a break and let the slow tide carry you down. little danger of being washed out into the solent. the top half of the hamble is quiet most of the time. Happy for you to tag alone to any trips when i am out if it helps

Quote Originally Posted by markpfc View Post
    no need to worry. sensible precautions are all that is needed. An easy option is put in at Swanwick30 mins before high tide at burseldon. Paddle up take a break and let the slow tide carry you down. little danger of being washed out into the solent. the top half of the hamble is quiet most of the time. Happy for you to tag alone to any trips when i am out if it helps

Thanks Mark. Thatíd be great. Think I just need to get a feel for tidal rivers to get a bit of confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by pompeywasp View Post
    Hi all,

I’ve been a member for a few years now and tapped into the wonderful knowledge pool that is SOTP. I’ve only ever hired canoes in the past, mostly on the Wye. After completing a multi day trip some 16 years ago I’ve had a hankering for my own canoe. I purchased a Seyvlor 3 man job last autumn and have had it out on the Hamble a couple of times but having recently returned from a two day trip on the Wye (Ross to Monmouth) on hired canoes it’s clear the inflatable just isn’t cutting the mustard. I’ve bit the bullet and agreed the purchase of an Old Town Discovery 174. All being well I should be picking it up a week Saturday. I think I’m more excited than I was as a little kid on Christmas Eve. I wanted a larger canoe for longer, extended trips (that I’ll never have time to go on) and to ensure I can accommodate my better half and my two young daughters. Not sure if I’ll be able to do solo trips in it but time will tell.

I live close to the River Hamble and within easy striking distance of Chichester, Basingstoke and the New Forest. I’d love to meet up with some like minded’s for some pointers and to give you a laugh while I hone my skills.

All the best

Rob
    So I’ve been royally stitched up. Despite agreeing a price and a date and time to pick my canoe up the guys gone and sold it. Unbelievable! The most annoying thing is 2 days after agreeing a price one came up for sale more than £100 cheaper and considerably closer and I ignored it because I’d given this chap my word I wasn’t a time waster. Do people just not have morals anymore? So I’ve gone from being super excited to truly gutted. So my weekend of canoeing with the kids is out the window. Anyway, rant over. So does anyone know of a reasonably priced OldTown Disco 174, or similar,for sale within around 3 hours from Portsmouth?