Thread: Hi from Bristol

Thumbs up Hi from Bristol

Hi there, paddlers!

Been wanting to get into canoeing and kayaking ever since I was a kid, but never was in the right place at the right time, or had the money or the storage or the access to water or whatever other excuse I've always used. Now the stars have aligned, and I have a kayak I can call my own: an inflatable, 2-man Sevylor Riviera. I've been into the water a few times over the years - enough to keep my appetite sufficiently whetted - but now I'm eager to get out there!

Any input from Bristol kayakers joyfully welcomed River spots, lakes, reservoirs - anywhere I can float my boat really - I'd love to learn about. I'm essentially a complete newbie to kayaking, so assume ignorance!

Anyway, thanks for having me; I look forward to all of your input, and in time, inputting myself.

Josh

Hello and Welcome!

You've probably already spotted the Kennet and Avon. Its particularly nice between Bradford and Bath. Can be busy though! Its quieter if you head a bit further east to the "summit" section east of Devizes.
    The Gloucester and Sharpness is a bigger canal, but has the unique feature of being parallel to the estuary.
    The Upper Thames (Lechlade to Oxford) isn't that far away, and is really beautiful and surprisingly remote feeling.

Have a nose on Paddle Points for more ideas. Take it easy for now, until you've got the hang of it.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

4. Default

Hi and welcome
    I live not too far away in Weston Super Mare. It may be a bit far from you but the Bridgewater to Taunton canal is very good for a beginner. It has very little traffic to worry about but it has plenty to look at. It meanders in places and has an atmosphere more like a river than a canal. Anglers and paddlers generally have a mutual respect here too. A few locks to portage around in places and some very low bridges to duck under but that is part of the fun of it.