Thread: Leash/tether for safety knife on buoyancy aid

Default Leash/tether for safety knife on buoyancy aid

I have a seen some paddlers wearing a buoyancy aid with a knife fixed to the front. Sometimes the knife is tethered to the buoyancy aid.

I an interested in getting one of these tethers. Do people use paddle tethers or are there special safety knife tethers available?

What's a good one to get. I don't want to lose my knife!!

Journal Entries

I don't tie mine to my PFD. Don't like the idea of a knife flopping about on the end of a bit of cord. It may be ok with a safety style like yours though. Also not keen on having a rope flopping about my body either as sure as fate, I'd get fankled in it!

Maybe a coiled leash of some description or how about one of those retractable ID badge things?? Sorry not much help...
    Cheers,

Alan

Yeah I don't have a macho pointy type knife.
    Mine currently resides in a pocket in the BA.
    But I can see me dropping it when I need it most.

Does yours clip on to your BA?

I've made a loop of (bright yellow) bungee chord (available in most chandelries for pennies) - enough to go over my wrist or grab. So the knife lives in the buoyancy aid pocket but with the bungee chord hanging out to grab if needed. It does save on lengths of chord unnecessarily hanging about... but it isn't actually attached to the buoyancy aid. I think the key is to have a secure sheath/pocket from which it won't fall out but can be extracted easily if needed and for me I felt that I was more likely to drop it if there wasn't a loop to go over my wrist.

Journal Entries

macho pointy knives are not a good idea but mine slashes drysuits and bare legs no bother at all! Them teeth are vicious!

It has a clip for clipping onto my BA at an attachment point on the left chest. I lost my last one as I caught it on re-entering the boat one time and the clip broke and it fell in. I duct taped it's replacement onto the waist adjustment straps on my left side. Doesn't catch there and is much more secure although there is a risk of me 'hanging up' on it when re-entering. I know it's there so tend to avoid it. I've got a big stringy lanyard thing on mine from some cord, it's all tied up but gives you something more to grab onto. I'll get a photo....

Last edited by Chainsaw; 2nd-July-2018 at 02:09 PM. Reason: adding pic
    Cheers,

Alan

Nice thanks, both Alan and Lime

My main knife, an NRS Copilot, has a good enough clip that I don't otherwise leash it, and rely on not dropping it if I ever need it. My previous knife, a Lomo, had a rubbish clip in design and disappeared one day. I had a spare, this lives in the stillwater PFD, in the pocket, with the sheaf leashed inside it.

Quote Originally Posted by kmac View Post
    I have a seen some paddlers wearing a buoyancy aid with a knife fixed to the front. Sometimes the knife is tethered to the buoyancy aid.

I an interested in getting one of these tethers. Do people use paddle tethers or are there special safety knife tethers available?

What's a good one to get. I don't want to lose my knife!!

I think there's little chance of you dropping that knife as you will have your fingers through the loop. There's more chance of us dropping a conventional handled knife, especially in cold conditions.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

This is one where you need to do your own personal risk assessment. My Kokatat ww rescue spec PFD has an externally fitted NRS CoPilot, it requires pressure from both forefinger and thumb to operate it's release so I'm fairly happy that it won't accidentally disappear. One downside is that it is externally visable on the outside of my BA/PFD so I tend not to use this BA when I'm coaching groups, especially groups that I don't already know. The CoPilot isn't tethered in any way, if I release it and then let go, for good or bad it's gone. My thought is that I've not got a tethered bare blade spinning around in the water next to me ... the back up is a Peak River Knife, tethered on a plastic "break link" D Ring in a BA pocket ... or in dire straits my Silky Saw "Pocket Boy" also in a pocket. The thought of my Silky opened up, tethered and spinning around in the water next to me is not good, so it's not tethered either.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read