Thread: Hands Up for Henley! Weekend 13th-15th July 2018

Default Hands Up for Henley! Weekend 13th-15th July 2018

Hands Up for Henley! Weekend 13th-15th July 2018

A chance now for you to put your hands up for a paddle at the Henley Festival on the River Thames, on the weekend of the 13th - 15th of July 2018.
    (Mal, if you could post a link here to all of our previous paddle endeavors and adventures, so far posted, that could save me a lot of time explaining the cruxt of it all...and then I could just cut to the chase! )

In the meantime, a warning order......some 15 days in advance!

The dress code for this mission will be strict and paramount... no ifs, no buts!

Do not not turn up incorrectly dressed.....

It's Pith Helmets and Kilts - and nothing less!

Though African Safari Apparel where appropriate will be allowed the day after!

Working now on some coordinating details......so .stay tuned.

MB
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 27th-June-2018 at 01:56 AM.
    Keep yer paddles wet, and powder dry....

MB

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((( ((º>
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Bonarmbj View Post
    I don't think that I'd like to see any of you lot wearing less than a kilt!

Reporting for duty, sir!

Whilst prefer Saturday night for a proper assault, I may, with a little logistical juggling, be able to do Friday evening a little later on.

A little reminder of last year's foray attached: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-Top-at-Henley

Just re-read the initial post...Oh dear, it's a little harsh isn't it|! (As so far gauged by the lack of replies / volunteers so far taking one pace step forward! )

Mal, if this mission just boils down to you and I this year fella, then it really will be The Thin Red Line, (with a little Black Watch Black & Green) holding out against all odds - such as the cold pints of Guinness at The Angel on the Bridge pub, and the later onslaught of the Roast Beef Baps, closely supported and backed up with some chilled fizz!

There'll be no let up, and when that order finally goes out to "Hold the line!"

There'll be no moaning from me....

If I knew a better hole, I'd go to it!

Bonar Mc B

Ready now to accept excuses for not turning up with a Pith Helmet or Kilt.....well, almost!

I have sent out a battle call via the Book of Face

A quick one now on the general outline plan for the weekend in question...

'Doc' Martin has expressed a preference for a Friday 13th paddle to incorporate the Nile Rogers and Le Chic gig...which I would also like to enjoy. But, won't be able to due to work schedules.
    If there's any paddlers out there that fancy this, then give Hemlock a shout. (I'd be there if I could!)

I'll be paddling upstream from Aston slipway, with a few reinforcements hopefully, on Saturday 14th July. Departing no later than 1500hrs...

After that, no plan survives first contact!

We'll take it from there - Eyes front, mark your targets!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 28th-June-2018 at 11:38 PM.

MB

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

I am being posted on the high seas by the Admiralty on Sunday 15th July * hence will need to maintain a degree of sobriety in order to arrive there bright and early and fit for duty.

Hence reporting for the initial skirmish on Friday with the Doc. - rig of the day to be confirmed nearer to the date.

With your permission, sir, on the Saturday evening I shall bivvy upstream of the final explosions to enable prompt departure.

*(a.k.a. officiating at the Sea Cadet Canoe and Kayak regatta at Dreadnought Reach in Reading)
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

On the Thames at jungle bashing down to Cricklade and beyond that weekend.

quite possibly. not sure about the kilt though (you'll thank me for it)

further details on the plan of battle would be helpful - camping location & suchlike?

Camping will be a "guerilla" wild camp, probably upstream of Marsh Lock. Facilities will include long grass and a river.

All messages received loud and clear.....

Commodore Fran,
    Permission granted. With the 2nd wave Amphibious Force joining you and your initial expeditionary force on the Saturday,......somewhere in the region of The Angel on the Bridge public house, to refresh the horses!

Staff Sgt. Sirus,
    Keep your gollocks sharp and good luck with the jungle bashing. I take it you will be wearing your pith helmet for this task....and not undertaking this work incorrectly dressed.

Potential New Recruit aannddyyhh,
    Further details of the plan of battle, and the order of march etc, to be confirmed within the next 48hrs...
    18tr old son & I now paddling this stretch tomorrow with 'eyeballs' very much on the terrace menu at The Angel on the Bridge, and all potential "guerilla" camping locations nearby!
    (It's tough work, but somebody's got to do it! )

Don't sweat the kilt issue. Concessions will now be made for African Safari type apparel in lieu of...

Though, please bear in mind, that the assault on The Angel on the Bridge, on Saturday evening will be a fully kilted affair! - They won't know what hit 'em!

Major Mal.
    With reference now to the proposed "guerilla" wild campsite, upstream of Marsh lock....probably best now if we refer to the facillities on offer there as 'whispering grass' and a river, with a few trees in the middle distance.....but, they really don't need to know!

Gunner Sugden now signing off...

MB

Though, please bear in mind, that the assault on The Angel on the Bridge, on Saturday evening will be a fully kilted affair! - They won't know what hit 'em!
    Let's just hope there are no innocent bystanders moored below!

I may have a cadet interested, my lanky mate Nigel and maybe his lad. They understand the Pith Helmet & Kilt requirements, and have completed the Pimms Handling Course.

Kilt socks have been ordered, walking socks just don't cut it. I shall be bringing insect repellent to spray liberally upskirt.

The Pimms Handling Course has been attempted by many over the years, but only a select few actually make the grade....

Chin! Chin!

It's a\ tough course alright , but if you make it through to the end, it's all chilled fizz from then on in!

Or something like that!

Gunner Sugden now standing in for "Stand by your Sheds!" Battery Sgt Major Bonar Mc B.

MB

Home now from a most enjoyable fact finding 'mad dogs and Englishmen and their sons go paddling on the Thames on a mission in the midday sun! (and it wasn't half hot mum, phew! )

Managed not only to have a great day out with my boy, but also had chance to eyeball the terrain as it stands right now, with some of it being very much overgrown since our last visit, and some it now warning of £200 fines if caught there infringing the mooring rules posted! (With drones now patrolling overhead!)

The whispering grass option, above Marsh Lock still looks a go though!

Just don't tell it to the trees, because the trees don't need to know....

"Sing Lofty, sing!"

MB
    A feasible plan to follow soonest...

some it now warning of £200 fines if caught there infringing the mooring rules posted! (With drones now patrolling overhead!)
    I wonder how anyone would be able to enforce this against a paddler. There are no outwardly identifying numbers on our boats. Do they have a right to ask you to identify yourself ? I'm pretty sure they can't detain or obstruct you in any way. I'm not suggesting anyone set themselves up for a confrontation but I just wonder how it would play out.

"Give me £200 !!!"

"NO !"

"erm.....OK. Have a good day"

"You too"

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    There are no outwardly identifying numbers on our boats.
    Not entirely true. A lot of people still have their old BCU stickers with their membership number visible.

Unfortunately my family holiday dates have changed so I’m not going to be able to make Friday evening either. Ah well, maybe next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There are three types of people in the world:
    Those who can count and those who can't.

All messages received loud and clear.....

Further details of the plan of battle, and the order of march etc, to be confirmed within the next 48hrs...

Gunner Sugden now signing off...

MB
    With the deadline now up I need another 48hrs minimum, bear with me.

MB

A quick dispatch now from the front....

The format for the overnight stop on Saturday 14th July , once the show is over and we're safely through the lock, will be...

Drag yer boot oot of the watter, knock-up yer basha', and roll out yer doss bag... and sleep! ]
    Ensuring before hand that any remaining food or drink is quickly consumed before getting your head down! (It worked last time! )

As did small tents, if you don't have a tarp.

Will now try to get something more coordinated and concrete before this coming weekend...just juggling right now with some erratic work schedules this week and an idea this evening of now roasting the beef for the baps/bagutteres on a pontoon that day! (Need some time now to think this through! - Re. above post! )

MB

Just as I got one step closer to posting a feasible plan this evening.....there just happened to be, just another reasonably sized spanner thrown into the works!

Have today somehow just managed to book off Thursday 12th of July, to enable me to fire up and be ready for a night out on Friday the 13th! with Fran that evening, now that Martin (Hemlock) has had to change his plans....

Which was all well and good until finding out this evening that Monsieur Mal now can't make it on the Friday!

So, I'm now very much back at the 48hrs prior notice period above , before I asked for a further 48hrs notice, below the first! (Are you still with me here? )

The bottom line now being.....the weekend is still very much on....but where the hell do I start!?

Please now don't put all your answers on a postcard, and send them all in...OK!

My heads spinning enough!

Whatever will be will be, we'll get there eventually I reckon !
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 5th-July-2018 at 12:25 AM.

MB

Re. "Getting there eventually"...

All I need now is few bags of ice, and a reasonable feasible mission plan.....soonest!

Game On!
    p;s.
    Eats wise on the day, it'll now be 'Get yer' Grub at the Pub' or 'Pizza from the Pizza Boat' as I can't now be done with all the faffin' aroon o' makin' Roast Beef Baps on the day.....

A Reasonable-feasible mission plan to shortly follow......

Maximum of 6 volunteers, if planning on wildish camping overnight on Saturday 14th , otherwise room for all & sundry.
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 8th-July-2018 at 12:47 AM.

Looking good!

I'm desperately seeking new bunting!

Silverbeard (Maj) has shown interest in coming along.

OK, Saturday list as I understand it

MBJ
    Fran
    Mal
    Nige (Mal's mate)
    Aannddyyh (hopeful)
    Maj (probably!)

As I understand it, muster point is the slipway at Ferry Lane, Aston. Parking & unloading is always, err, entertaining. Therefore, to enable departure as planned at 15.00 hours, I would suggest making sure you've arrived by 14.00, as its possible cars may have to be moved a bit of a distance away if busy.

http://www.paddlepoints.net?PP=134

Pith helmet ordered, so put-it down the track from the Flower Pot near Hambledon Weir?

(Used to put in there to attack Hambledon Weir with double ended paddles in my youth, fond memories of hot pies, Henley Breweries Best and a real fire after a mid winter's day frantic paddle, IIRC got my BCU Proficiency there)

Quote Originally Posted by Jilted Jon View Post
    Pith helmet ordered, so put-it down the track from the Flower Pot near Hambledon Weir?

(Used to put in there to attack Hambledon Weir with double ended paddles in my youth, fond memories of hot pies, Henley Breweries Best and a real fire after a mid winter's day frantic paddle, IIRC got my BCU Proficiency there)
    That's the one. The hardest bit is avoiding going in the Flowerpot before we start...

MBJ
    Fran
    Mal
    Nige (Mal's mate)
    Aannddyyh (hopeful)
    Maj (probably!)
    Jon

Cheers Mal, see you soon
    Last edited by Jilted Jon; 8th-July-2018 at 10:44 PM.

sorry chaps, I've been reminded of a prior family commitment this weekend, so I'm going to have to bow out

MBJ
    Fran
    Mal
    Nige (Mal's mate)
    Maj (probably!)
    Jon

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Do not not turn up incorrectly dressed.....

"Wha saw the 42nd,
    Wha saw them gang awa?
    Wha saw the 42nd,
    Sailin' doon the Broomielaw?

Some o' them had tartan troosers
    Some o' them had nane at a'
    Some o' them had kilts and sporrans
    Sailin' doon the Broomielaw."

42nd Regiment of Foot, aka The Black Watch.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Aye Crow, a timely reminder fae the lads and lasses now amassing fae this mission....

Fi Bonar Mc B at the Boathouse.

Marching Orders for this 2018 mission will now be posted in the back pages of the usual format.......

If you miss your copy tomorrow ( which is now later today) stay tuned to this frequency for further information OK!.

MB

P.S.
    Jilted John, here's your chance now of changing out that 'J' for 'k' and becoming famous!

MB

Default Henley Festival 13th- 15th July 2018

HANDS UP FOR HENLEY!
    A REASONABLY FEASIBLE PLAN

( Marching Orders! )
    Friday 13th. 1630hrs. Advance Party to Mobilise.

Bonarmbj to depart Aston Slipway , in full festival regalia , and head upstream towards Henley. Rendezvous with Fran en route. Fran to confirm rendezvous point by utilising electronic flying pigeon message service.

1800hrs. Infiltration of Public House 'Angel on the Bridge'.

Fran & Bonarmbj to infiltrate the premises and sample the refreshments and fine fare offered there......all for research purposes of course!

1930 hrs. Advance Party to Recce the Floating Stage, Entertainment Availableand Crowds Gathered.

This leg of the mission will entail multiple circuits being paddled. Commencing in daylight and ceasing well after last light. Expect to paddle up to an additional 4 miles.

2230rs. Planned Artillery Bombardment to Take Place. (The Fireworks display) Hopefully a lot better than last years!

After the bombardment, and the final whistle goes, Advance Party to head upstream through Marsh Lock and locate the overnight stop and laying up point for the Main Party arriving on Saturday 14th July. (Late nibbles and a last beer will be acceptable during this final leg of Fridays mission).

DRESS CODE FOR FRIDAY THE 13TH OF JULY 2018
    AFRICAN SAFARI WITH PITH HELMETS

Saturday 14th July 2018. 1630hrs Main Party to Mobilise and Rendezvous with the Advance Party.

Mal Grey and the remaining marauders to depart Aston Slipway no later then 1630hrs and aim to be at the hardstanding 500m above the Angel on the Bridge, right bank, by 1800hrs.
    On arrival there will be time made available to dress for dinner. (Time to don yer' Kilts! ) Once all troops have passed muster and are deemed correctly dressed. Bonarmbj to then provide light fizzy refreshment and welcome nibbles....(Those incorrectly dressed will be subject to Field Disciplinary Action i.e. Made to buy the ice creams on Sunday! )

1845 hrs Main Assault on the Public House 'The Angel on the Bridge'.
    Advance and Main Parties to merge, and swiftly advance on the public house, downstream, six abreast with bunting blazing!
    Remember lads, and lass : History is not made by those who do nothing!
    With no battle plan ever surviving first contact, this is where this one must end....

If you survive the assault, re-group under the flag, as soon as you see it raised and await further orders at the bar!

Further Orders for Saturday Evening....
    Expect to be back on the water by 2000hrs, paddling the circuits past the floating stage and crowds there gathered both afloat and ashore. Expect to paddle up to an additional 4 miles on the circuits, or whatever you want to do. There will be a lot of traffic on the water during the circuits, in many different sizes. We may have to split into smaller groups as we go along, and then join up again. During this phase please stay together as a minimum of two boats and ensure that you have plenty of illumination, so that you are easily seen by all on the water.

Talking of which, we have again this year an open invite aboard a work mate's floating gin palace, which'll be moored somewhere midstream close to the floating stage. Let's take him up on the offer this year, as we'll all fit aboard! (It'll make a for a good rest spot!)

Sometime between the End of the Entertainment on Saturday and the Start of The Planned Artillery Bombardment at 2230hrs...
    Bonarmbj will issue Pimms & Pork Scratchings....just to keep the energy levels up!

When the final whistle goes...
    We'll all then head upstream through Marsh lock and locate the laying up area, quietly. As Fran will already be there getting some sleep in readiness for an early departure on Sunday morning.

Sunday...
    We'll discuss Sunday when we get there .....It may involve ice cream & pizza from the Pizza boat! and being back at Aston Slipway no later than 1530hrs for Tea & Medals

This Battle Plan is subject to change at moment before and during the mission. If it does, don't worry, as the whole emphasis of the mission is to have some fun!

Bonar Mc B

N.B.
    If there are any 'last minute' drop-outs between this post and Friday, please let me know 'a few minutes' before that point, as there might be one or two last minute drop-in recruits/ replacements now 'Holding Their Hands Up for Henley!'

MB

Must remember to charge the illuminations.

Have still not found bunting in any of the poundshops of Hinckley, Tamworth of Nottingham!

Have replenished the Smidge insect repellent in case of unwanted attention up-kilt

Hoping to set off a bit earlier from Aston on Saturday.

Got my Pith Helmet, that's sum of my prep so far, new (to me) boat, daughter probably has my bivi bag and other kit, it will be throwing likely stuff in dry bags and sorting it out as I go.

If anyone coming has a spare red-tail pastern paddle I could try that would be great (red-tail not otter or beaver tail, but as only using a shovel so far trying any of these would be much appropriated).

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Must remember to charge the illuminations.

Have still not found bunting in any of the poundshops of Hinckley, Tamworth of Nottingham!

Have replenished the Smidge insect repellent in case of unwanted attention up-kilt

Hoping to set off a bit earlier from Aston on Saturday.
    Re. the Bunting, if still in the aforementioned areas above ....try all the local Tesco stores!

Re. the timing of departure from Aston Slipway....I'm only going by last years efforts,as it took nearly 2hrs to reach Henley. On the recent recce my lad and I achieved the same in just under an hour, with much frustration experienced with holiday traffic in Hambledon Lock and a hydration stop en route - So, then combined the timings and then averaged them out for a guesstimate for this trip....

Let's see how you go!
    Last edited by Bonarmbj; 11th-July-2018 at 12:06 AM.

MB

Judging by tonights responses so far, I guess that the 4 x P's are not everybody's forte, eh!

MB

Journal Entries

Is it strange that I look forward to this meetup every year even though I can’t attend?

Not sure if it is because I’ve actaully been to the Henley Festival a couple of times when friends stayed in Henley or because it just looks so much fun in the blogg. I’m pretty sure it is the latter.

Have a great weekend chaps, looking forward to the photos already.

have fun chaps, sorry to to be able to join you. don't shoot til you see the whites of their eyes!

"A quick dispatch from the front Sir!"

Message just in that last nights fireworks (artillery bombardment!
    ) were once again back up to the usual spectacular standard, as expected. Sir!

"We're going in! "

MB

The Squadron Quartermaster reluctantly now reports that 3 x 12' spare lengths of Union Flag bunting have now been found hidden away in the dark depths of the squadron stores, and as much as "stores are for storing", the bunting will now be issued, as none so far have been found between Hinckley and Nottingham - What!?

With a tear now in the Squadron Quartermasters eye, as he now has to actually issue some stores!....

You will find the bunting either pinned behind the offside windscreen wiper of my car parked at Aston Slipway, or on the top of my offside front tyre.....

Borrow what you need, and fly it with pride!

"If we're going in, then let's make sure our bunting is blazing when we do!"

MB

Bad news

I am still planning on coming, not sure if that's bad news for you, me, Henley, ... or all of the above.

16:00 Saturday down the lane from the Flower Pot is my understanding please disabuse me if I am in error. Happy to share my mobile number via PM as no plan survives first contact.

Jilted Jon,
    Pls. give Mal a shout to find out what time he plans to depart Aston slipway on Saturday. I have suggested leaving Aston no later than 1630hrs, so that that you're at Henley for 1800hrs.
    Mal has said above that he wants to leave earlier though.

I'm about leave home in the next 45mins, and tie-up with Fran later this afternoon....the horses are waiting!

Will now PM my mob. no.
    Pls. give me a call if you need any further clarification.

MB

MB

Fran,
    Just got your text, re. arriving a little later than scheduled....no worries! Easier for me to reply here than for me to attempt a text message on my phone!

I'll keep an eye out for you from the flying bridge of my mates boat. As I'll be babysitting it for a short while, as the Captain & Crew will all be ashore at the festival!

Mark

MB

I will be at Aston Clinton at 2.30pm, also Nige, with the intention of being off within the hour and having a lazy paddle up, possibly with stops.

Jon, if this is too early, no problem, but knowing how hectic parking etc can be, I'd definitely allow more than half an hour to get ready and launched by 4.30pm.

Noted re bunting! Thnaks.
    Last edited by Mal Grey; 13th-July-2018 at 11:09 AM.

It seems Maj might have had a better offer....

I will try and get there for 2:30

Thanks chaps I will try and get there early, but worst case I have a couple of mobi numbers, what could possibly go wrong, and I bet we can all cope with a little dose of gone wrong.

Man down!

Nige has been strucken down by a mysterious foe (bug) and won't make it He's gutted, had buntinged his boat and polished his helmet.

More worryingly, he was responsible for 2 litres of Pimms! Panic replenishment now in action.

I shall see Jon at 2.30 ish, and we'll find the advanced party a little later on.

WOW, what a fantastic weekend with a lovely bunch of ex-strangers!
    Thanks sooo much for making me part of it!

Pimm's o'clock, yesterday on the riverside, zero scrimping on botanicals, ice or presentation.

PIC_20180714_205809.jpg

Great to meet you Jon, you seem have the skills for such assaults.

Thanks as always to Mark and Fran for their company, and kudos, as the advanced party, for spending a whole extra day on the front line. This takes commitment!

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

Thanks all for a great couple of days! Must make sure it stays in the diary for next year!
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

In my opinion now , probably the best Henley festivals so far attended by canoe!

With many thanks indeed to those that made this week-end so special, with so many unexpected highlights along the way. With commiserations now to those that would have liked to have been there, but were unable to do so......maybe next year, eh? - I hope so!

What a superb weekend!

One down side though.. after establishing a riverside base.my flag pole crash landed on Frans IPhone & rendered it unusable!.... (Fran, I'm now working on it! )

Last edited by Bonarmbj; 15th-July-2018 at 11:44 PM.

MB

Remember lads...

"Don't shoot until you see the whites of their ice!"

At the end of another successful mission...the spoils of war!

Prepare now, for the blog

MB

You may talk o’ gin and beer

When you’re quartered safe out ’ere,

An’ you’re sent to penny-fights an’ Aldershot it;

But when it comes to slaughter

You will do your work on water,

An’ you’ll lick the bloomin’ boots of ’im that’s got it.

Or ice cream, it seems....

Nicely done, those men!

Journal Entries

Is this going on Wilderness Is A State Of Mind?

Crow Trip Log

Journal Entries

Your Henley exploits always remind me of this:

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Is this going on Wilderness Is A State Of Mind?
    Probably, it was pretty wild!

If wilderness really is 'A State of Mind'....

Then we came well prepared for this trip!

"Chin, chin!"

MB

Meanwhile, back in the Boardroom....

A few beers were raised to the weekend, and our fourth member (Fran) who was already out there and re-engaged with a fresh mission that very day!

MB

Major Mal here.

For a full and exhaustive(ing) report on this foray, I refer all interested parties to the following; http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ttle-of-Henley