Thread: If you had the pennies !!!!!!

Default If you had the pennies !!!!!!

OK, if someone gave you a couple of ŁK and insisted you spent it on a canoe, what would you buy ?

Assume you are a relatively novice paddler who mainly does flat stuff (River Wey) but enjoys it when it gets ditchy and would like to do some bumpy stuff in the future.
    Mostly solo but occasional guest.
    Mostly days out but would enjoy the odd trip .

Also, I might be being a Muppet but what are the differences / characteristics of the following Nova Craft boats ?

Bob Special
    Pal
    Prospector 15
    Prospector 16

To me, they look about the same, cost about the same.

Cheers

Col

Journal Entries

Assuming I had nothing to start with I'd probably go for a P15 in tuffstuff.

Bob Special - better at flatwater than moving, smallish for trips but probably enough
    Pal - Good on both, smallish for trips but probably enough
    Prospector 15 - slightly better on moving than flat, fine for trips
    Prospector 16 - IMO too big for solo

HTH

Alan
    Cheers,

Alan

??????????
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 26th-June-2018 at 08:48 AM.

So who is the benefactor, and can I meet them?

Hmmm - so you're after a fairly forgiving multi-use pocket tandem, with a budget to get you into reasonably lightweight lay-ups.
    Personally I would go for composite rather than plastic for mainly flatwater use. I like to support UK canoe manufacturers too when I can, so my personal experience is of Apache, Mega, and Venture as far as trad boats go. (My silverbirch is an OC1 - their trad boats look very nice, but I haven't paddled one)
    Venture hulls are plastic and heavy - I liked their prospector 16, but its a lot of boat for mostly solo, and prone to windage - not the best for mostly flat water. It was my first boat, and did well for what I wanted at the time, but the weight, while manageable, made me decide to move on.
    I find my mega outlander 16 a good boat for solo trips in most conditions, and it will do as a tandem daytripper too, but it is maybe a little too reactive for a relative beginner to feel immediately at home in.
    Maybe an apache 15 in one of their new light lay-ups would suit - I have one in GRP, set up as a solo, but they will take 2 reasonably well, have good primary and secondary stability and will do fine on flat water and rivers up to around grade 3. Their lightweight lay-ups come in around 22-25kg if I remember right, and they will be under your budget, leaving enough for a really nice paddle to go with the new hull...

Colin come round to mine you can have a go in a Pal and a Novacraft P15 if you want or have another go in my little Yellowstone Solo ��
    Last edited by Sirus; 26th-June-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Something that you can sell for not much less than you bought it so that when you work out exactly what you want you can sell what you have and buy it!

Probably any general canoe from most manufactures line ups at about 15-16" will do what you are asking and it is just working out what sort of paddling you gravitate towards and which features you appreciate...

I’ll be in Bournemouth in July so if you want to try the Apache canoes Gordon mentioned I’ll be happy to bring one with me.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

For your current use, I'd buy the Pal in Tuffstuff, so much lighter than current and paddles brilliantly on slower water, and keep your Pyranha Prospector for trying out some bouncier stuff in due course.

Pete's Pal is the same shape, just different material.

The PAL is lovely to paddle and will handle some pretty decent waves on lochs and sea.

I decided to take up paddling 2 years ago and after a bit of research here and elsewhere on the web and a couple of trips out I ordered a Bob Special, then after a week of more research I bottled it and changed the order to a PAL in Tuffstuff because I thought it would be bigger and more suited to my needs. Most of my paddling is done solo in the Lake District with camera gear and I'd noticed that I wasn't getting any younger so weight was a major consideration. I can easily handle the PAL solo and roll it up for carrying. I still get an inner smile when I come back from a paddle when there are people about, like at Glenridding, and some kind person will look at this balding old beardie and kindly ask if I need any help. I just say "I think I'll be OK but if I fall over it would be nice if you could help me up" and then just roll it up onto my shoulders. It takes everything I need and on the occasions when I paddle with someone else it still takes everything we need. It's a nice green colour but my one regret was that I didn't get one in oxblood. I tried getting B&Q to mix me an oxblood for the Orca canoe I built this time last year. Came out a a sort of weird red brown.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

I was in a very similar position a while back and I bought a TS Pal. No regrets at all.
    The only real difference is my paddling is mostly open water so I'd guess windage is more of an issue than on the Wey, and that pushes the balance towards the lower profile Pal. If windage is not so much of an issue and you foresee more bumpy stuff, then that would push the balance towards a Prospector.
    If you are looking at TuffStuff a note on colours. Oxblood looks the best, Red is fastest, but Desert White hides the scratches better! I got the fastest one!

+1 for the TS Pal, bought it for similar paddling to what you are looking at and have a Royalex P15 for bumpier river trips. Pleased with the Pal and scratches not too apparent in the desert white.

That said, having now seen the Apache boats recently at Canoefest and a Quetico, there are great UK built options to explore!

Thanks for all the replies. Much to think about but seems to be a lot of leaning towards a NC Pal

You know it makes sense.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Much to think about but seems to be a lot of leaning towards a NC Pal
    Pop round next week one evening and have a go if you like in my Novacraft Pal.

PM sent