Thread: Riber Canoe Trolley - performance?

Default Riber Canoe Trolley - performance?

Does anyone have any experience of and/or views on the performance of the Riber heavy duty canoe trolley with puncture proof tyres?

I hated it... My Osagian aluminium canoe has a flat bottom with 2 cm keel and the trolley won't stay put with the provided strap. I added 2 additional straps, but to no avail. The rolling resistance on gravel roads or grass is very high.The kickstand doesn't work. I woudn't touch it with a 3.048 meter pole...
    --
    Martin
    Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris (If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar).

Thanks, that's useful to know. Hope you found a better one to replace it with?

I know nothing of the trolley in question although mine looks like an inferior example. However, in my experience two straps are required from side to side from each cross chock. I have ropes rather than straps, each long enough to wrap round a convenient cross member on the boat (I have had several) to stop the boat moving backwards or forwards on bumps.By choice I'm not a great portage enthusiast, and prefer to carry by yoke and return for any gear, but on camping trips or when using a heavy boat, then I trolley. I find that it is not unusual for canoe gear to require "customising" before use and in the light of experience.

Impcanoe

Sue, I replaced it with the Linder Inkas Canoe Cart, Collapsible. It is very sturdy and runs light over uneven terrain.
    I took it to Sweden recently and I had no issue at all. Unfortunately it is a very expensive piece of kit...
    And you need a keeled boat for it to sit properly.

--
    Martin
    Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris (If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar).

Ok, thanks Martin.

Not Riber but I have virtually identical cheapo trolley (probably made by the same manufacturer). Similar to Impcanoe the issues I had were nothing to do with the trolley itself but figuring out the best way to secure it to the canoe. I use two decent quality metal cam buckle luggage straps, one on each side, wrap round the metal support then up and round the yoke (central on my Hou) and pull tight as you can.
    I recently portaged my 16 footer up and down a rutted steep approx. 1km track through woodland at Loch Tay without issues (apart from cardiac arrest). Can't comment on longevity as I've only used it about 6-7 times.