Thread: Big meet 2018???

Default Big meet 2018???

Hi all, Is there a customary big meet happening this year? It was in Bala (N. Wales) for a while then it moved to Scotland for a few years. It would be great to meet up with like-minded people again. I couldn't organise a p...s up in a brewery so it would be best if someone else could organise but am willing to help if there isn't already one happenining.
    Cheers,

Ceibach

Cruising n' bruising!

anyone.....?
    Cheers,

Ceibach

Cruising n' bruising!

I don't believe anybody has planned one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    I don't believe anybody has planned one.
    I get the impression there are more smaller groups doing their own thing these days ?

That's a shame. Thanks for the responses.
    Cheers,

Ceibach

Cruising n' bruising!

OK - on 18th and 19th August I've got two days of guaranteed water on the River Washburn...

Of course, when we publish photos we always choose the most dramatic. Very little of the river is like this!

We can accommodate a fair bit of camping at the Woodyard (at the bottom of the course).

I am sure we can arrange for guides / coaches to get inexperienced canoeists on the lower river / whole river and we are already anticipating a flotilla of demo boats.

For folk who want something calmer we have lots of other rivers nearby and it's quite possible that I could organise access to Thrusscross: overlooking where we launch for the river.

Most of the work for this needs doing anyway so expanding it to accommodate a "Big Meet" would not be an issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus2 View Post
    I get the impression there are more smaller groups doing their own thing these days ?
    Last year we had a biggish meet at barrow, I think the problem is, it’s an awful lot of work to organise, we all lead busy lives these days, yes there are smaller meets, but they are normally listed on here, open to all members, to attend or not.

GregandGinaS, that looks like as good an excuse as any! Build it and they will come...? I'd certainly be game.

The biggish meet at Barrow was ace last year. The problem is a big meet requires time, energy and contacts, which are in typically short supply in all of our lives, and all for a fun weekend for the rest of us!
    I refuse to let the fact that I haven't got a clue what I'm doing hold me back in any aspect of my life.

Looks good = and not too far from me!
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

I believe the organisation for our first Big Meet was Bootstrap saying "I'm going to Bala on xxx date, camping at yyy, feel free to join us".

That was pretty much it, although probably with a few calls to campsites for numbers etc.

Last years Biggish Meet was maybe a tad more involved, as it was green field based, rather than a campsite, so we needed to sort out loos and additional space, and I'm certainly indebted to Jewels for collecting money. We did throw in a few extras like the duck race, bake off competition, giant SuP, build-up newsletters, and a spot of BC participation, but these were by no means necessary.

Get a group of paddlers together, add some paddle-able water, liquid refreshment. sunshine and evening fire and a fun time will be had. He says hoping to inspire someone else to pick up the torch....

Quote Originally Posted by cankay.org.uk View Post
    I believe the organisation for our first Big Meet was Bootstrap saying "I'm going to Bala on xxx date, camping at yyy, feel free to join us".

That was pretty much it, although probably with a few calls to campsites for numbers etc.
    There were other Big Meets before Bala being organised by others, Tisme and Kayakjedi spring to mind and the last two before Bala being at Ullswater and before that Windermere.

The biggest problem is choosing the venue and date - it never works for everybody so you just have to suggest something that works for you.
    Organising a camp site is the next challenge but if you get in early enough and estimate numbers based on initial interest there are special rates to be had. Making a provisional booking for a group in January/February seemed to work best.
    Anything beyond this is a bonus, getting retailers along with their products is nice to have and doing a group cook up is always popular. The first Big Meet at Bala in 2012 saw multiple cooking pots full of Mal Grey's spaghetti bolognese.

It just needs someone to make that step, I would do it again sometime but not just yet as I am rather busy with running a Scout group and organising my own trips.
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed