Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: So where should I paddle next in Scotland

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Titchfield Hampshire
    Posts
    462

    Default So where should I paddle next in Scotland

    Ok, I am starting to consider and plan our next Scottish mini expedition

    Previous trips
    Morar and Nevis Circuit (partiallycompleted)
    Loch Sheil circuit
    Caledonian Canal
    Loc Etive
    Loch Awe
    Loch Kylesku

    Not over keen on trips that include long paddles on coastal waters, but estuaries are fine.

    Always carry to much gear in case of Armageddon, as portaging not wanted. Happy with wild or formal camping.
    Love wildlife
    Interested to know your must do, where next...
    Thanks in advance

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Across Rannoch Moor and down the Tay?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    21,070

    Default

    You need to get into Assynt and Inverpolly. To avoid portaging, maybe down Veyatie and on to Fionn Loch. THis might mean lining the Uidh Fhearna river back up for a km or so on the return leg.

    Short portages only on the Lurgainn to Bad a Ghail bit just to the south.


    You also need to do Loch Maree, plenty there for a number of days.


    Lochs on my own list
    Rannoch (you will need a portage to do the traverse, unless there's lots of water, but you could do a there and back up Laidon from Rannoch Station for a day or two)

    Quoich (in low water, can have ugly bare sides) Good to access the KNoydart hills from that side, but a bit more limited in paddling.

    Hourn



    Or you could do the Spey?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    You need to get into Assynt and Inverpolly. To avoid portaging, maybe down Veyatie and on to Fionn Loch. THis might mean lining the Uidh Fhearna river back up for a km or so on the return leg.

    Short portages only on the Lurgainn to Bad a Ghail bit just to the south.


    You also need to do Loch Maree, plenty there for a number of days.


    Lochs on my own list
    Rannoch (you will need a portage to do the traverse, unless there's lots of water, but you could do a there and back up Laidon from Rannoch Station for a day or two)

    Quoich (in low water, can have ugly bare sides) Good to access the KNoydart hills from that side, but a bit more limited in paddling.

    Hourn



    Or you could do the Spey?
    The Spey is extremely low just now. So would not recommend until major rainfall.
    Loch Mullardoch?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Malky View Post
    The Spey is extremely low just now. So would not recommend until major rainfall.
    Loch Mullardoch?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    suffolk
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Mal Grey has just had published a fabulous article in the Paddler magazine about the lochs of the north west......

    Absolutely stunning photography

    (Oops, just seen his post above....)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    21,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laurence milton View Post
    Mal Grey has just had published a fabulous article in the Paddler magazine about the lochs of the north west...…...

    Absolutely stunning photography

    (Oops, just seen his post above....)
    Thanks mate. Glad you didn't see the other post, happy to take the publicity any way I can!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Teynham Kent
    Posts
    201

    Default

    I'd say up around Ullapool and down The Dee.

  9. #9

    Default

    loch maree/ loch Lomond /river ness /loch ness/ arisaig /loch ken/ river tay / lochore meadows country park /lochearn/ loch tay.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •