Thread: Grade 1 and launching points near Upton on Severn?

Default Grade 1 and launching points near Upton on Severn?

Iím camping at Upton on Severn for a few days from this weekend and Iíd like to take my canoe. Iím too inexperienced for much more than a sedate grade 1 and will be paddling on my own. Does anyone know of a suitable put in point up river where I could paddle down to Upton for a few hours or one downstream where I could recover? Is there a launching/recovery point in or near Upton? Any dangers I should know about? There doesnít seem to be as much information around about the Severn as for the Wye, which Iíve paddled in various stretches.

Grateful for any input.

Any dangers I should know about?
    Yes - but probably best addressed first hand with others competent, possibly including a coach or canoe club.
    Last edited by KeithD; 15th-June-2018 at 08:58 AM. Reason: fix quote

Try this
    http://midlandcanals.co.uk/canal/fra...ver-severn.htm
    Its a few years old now and could be out of date, but it will give you a idea. The biggest danger on the lower severn is weirs (don't go near them) and other river users, hopefully the people driving the river boats know what they are doing.

Don't know about the Severn (though doesn't appear to be much using Google satellite view), but when I camped in that part of the world some years ago I paddled on the Avon.

It's a smaller river with less volume at normal summer levels. Put in at Eckington Bridge and paddled downstream to Strensham lock and back, upstream to Pershore and back (one lock to bypass but the portage route results in a put in a bit close to a weir, may be an alternative I'm not aware of). Pershore is a good put in too so down or upstream possible from there, a lock a short way upstream (looks like a flow of river hydro scheme has been added recently), haven't portaged it but looks reasonable from Google or Bing Maps satellite pics. Just a bit upstream of Stratford upon Avon on the A439 a carpark by the river is a good put in for going upstream and back. Another easy put in at Jubilee Bridge near Cropthorne. Lock upstream with a reasonable portage but space to manoeuvre with canoe on shoulders a bit restricted at each end.
    The main danger is the weirs which for the most part are easily avoided but the rate of flow in the river is higher near them and can create odd currents downstream for a short distance. Check the rate of flow, best seen where it flows past a structure in the river such as bridge footings. When I did these trips there was barely any current.
    If you are confident you can make the canoe go where you want it to then there should be no difficulties. I assume you will be wearing PFD. When on a river by myself I always keep an eye out for possible places to climb out after a swim should the need arise, unlikely on the Avon, but one never knows what mishap may occur.
    There are some more local to the Avon than me who will be able to give better info.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

I always wear a PFD. I took a course with a coach and joined a club so understand that I need to plan ahead - hence my questions.

At Upton there doesn't appear to be many hazards, indeed downstream the first weir you get to is Tewksbury. The severn can often have a reasonable flow on it so I suggest you start by heading upstream so you know what you are letting yourself in for and are guaranteed an easier return trip. Take care and enjoy the outing.

Thanks Adrian. I have a few days there and then I’m off to Mordiford where the river is more familiar to me.

We paddled to Upton from Worcester a few weeks ago. We asked nicely at the marina in Upton and they let us use the slipway and park the car. As there was plenty of space they didn't charge us anything. There is normally a small launching fee.
    Paul
    Just goin with the flow