Thread: Any concerns

Default Any concerns

Hi

After looking at various storage solutions involving pulleys to suspend my canoe, I came across a clip of someone using 'normal' tie down straps. I found it was easy to do, my question is though are there any risks to the structure of my canoe (other than the straps failing).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ideally, I would have the straps at the quarter points of the canoe length or slightly further apart. The straps should go up vertically from the boat, or outwards - it looks as if yours are sloping inwards, which will be pinching the gunwales in. The boat will be fine in terms of bending along it's length, but it's much more vulnerable to deforming sideways under long term load, particularly if the garage gets hot in summer.
    Last edited by Chris_B; 13th-June-2018 at 11:33 AM. Reason: typo

How about using some crossways wooden planks just a bit longer than the gunwale width so that you are effectively suspending the planks and sitting the canoe on the planks? That way you'd avoid any potential squeeze on the canoe's cross section (use a bit of duct tape to stick the planks to the canoe to hold them in place while you're securing the straps).

If you're worried, just give it to me, I could do with a back up Bell CP now mine's getting on a bit!

Thanks for comments, Mal the day I decide to get rid of my Bell I will give you a shout. It will probably coincide with the day I win 100m on the euro lottery

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by markpfc View Post
    Thanks for comments, Mal the day I decide to get rid of my Bell I will give you a shout. It will probably coincide with the day I win 100m on the euro lottery

If I ever win on the lottery, I'll buy all the Bell CP's left in the UK off people!!! Well, the green ones, anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    If I ever win on the lottery, I'll buy all the Bell CP's left in the UK off people!!! Well, the green ones, anyway
    If I ever won the lottery (impossible as I don't do it but just saying) I'd buy one of Ted Bells new Northstar lightweight creations.

On the suspending the canoe thing I'd go for the hanging wooden bars to rest the canoe on. If the supporting rope was continuous from one end of the bars to the other passing through eye bolts in the rafters then you could easily make sure the canoe was suspended evenly and level at both ends.

Sounds a plan, ordered some 10m straps and i will incoporate the wooden bars

Hi I did a similar thing to you, though as the garage had a ceiling I decided rather than trust the roof joists I would rig it some wooden beams to suspend the canoe from. Works great you can get the iron work and timber from most local DIY stores and get the pullys and ropes from the same place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
    Hi I did a similar thing to you, though as the garage had a ceiling I decided rather than trust the roof joists I would rig it some wooden beams to suspend the canoe from. Works great you can get the iron work and timber from most local DIY stores and get the pullys and ropes from the same place.
    thanks sounds like a plan

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If you can't trust the roof joists to suspend a canoe then I'd be worried more about the roof than the canoe.

I leave my canoe upright and loop ropes, attached through the joists (drilled), through the seats. You can alternate pulling the ends up a little at a time and then tie off the ropes. The weight is effectively spread along the gunwales. I thought about pulleys and all sort of unnecessary contraptions, before deciding I was over-thinking it.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.

Hi Mark. Your current system looks fine. At our previous house I had a similar but slightly different system. I took a hardwood dowel about 1 meter long and 20 mm diameter and suspended it with rope from the rafters so it hung like a trapeze. That allows me to walk the boat right into the garage while it is on my shoulders and set the nose on the trapeze. Then I had a rope about 1 meter from the stern that is permanently attached to a rafter on one side but has a hook on a rafter on the other side...and a loop on the rope end. So once I have the bow of the boat on the trapeze then I just grab the hanging rope and attach the end with a loop to the hook.