Thread: Looking after my Canoe

1. Default Looking after my Canoe

Hi everyone and thank you in advance for your help!

I picked up by brand new Hou 15 yesterday in green and have a few questions about looking after it. The Hull itself seems a little dull and also there seems to be some sticky outty (sorry donít know the technical terms!) left from the mold when it was made on the outside. Tips on bringing out the shine as well as also making sure it is looked after!

Second question, the seats, yoke and handles are made of Ash. What is the best product to protect this wood?

As I said thank you all in advance, sorry if this has been covered before (I couldnít find it in my search).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Love a lot trust a few but always paddle your own canoe

Hello - welcome to the Forum. Hou hulls are a matt finish, so I'm not sure you can make it shiny, but use 303 Aerospace silicon every few months to protect it from UV - although you're supposed to use it sparingly, it might leave it with a nice lustre. As for the ash, I'd use Danish oil as-and-when it needs it - I might be wrong, but it shouldn't need any attention unless the wood is scratched and the surface compromised. Can't help with the sticky stuff, other than to suggest detergent and elbow grease, then 303. You could always ask Hou what they suggest.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Feet View Post
    Hello - welcome to the Forum. Hou hulls are a matt finish, so I'm not sure you can make it shiny, but use 303 Aerospace silicon every few months to protect it from UV - although you're supposed to use it sparingly, it might leave it with a nice lustre. As for the ash, I'd use Danish oil as-and-when it needs it - I might be wrong, but it shouldn't need any attention unless the wood is scratched and the surface compromised. Can't help with the sticky stuff, other than to suggest detergent and elbow grease, then 303. You could always ask Hou what they suggest.
    Thanks for the reply. Itís more of prickles on the hull or small spikes. Lots of them. Not really sure how to describe them if Iím being honest. I think they are just from the mould.

4. Default

I emailed Hōu last night and woke up to a reply. The Ďspikesí Iím talking about are pimples from the moulding process which is what I thought it might of been. Canít get rid of them, which isnít a problem anyway I just was wondering what they were!

I wouldn't worry too much, if you use it as it should be used scratches and dents will soon hide the pimples
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much, if you use it as it should be used scratches and dents will soon hide the pimples
    Very true. I wasnít worried about them so much as wondered what they were. Already have scratches on the bottom from launching it into the water at Saul Junction into the canal, so your right, they will go very soon!