Thread: Another "Monty" but no pics SORRY!

Default Another "Monty" but no pics SORRY!

A last minute decision to get ourselves out onto the Montgomery canal was made. Eggs were hard-boiled but being low on supplies we headed for Stan's supermarket, local to us in Saint Martin's. We sorted a butty each and a few tins of the amber nectar for the trip!
    I avoided the A5 and took the countrified route through to Queen's Head. For the first time there was another car in the lay-by outside the Shropshire Paddlesports Canoe and Kayak Centre. Three cars can fit so no real issue
    We had a quick chat with a narrowboat owner who was working on his motor and who really admired the canoe then set off.
    This section of the Monty is beautifully wild. Flag iris are all over the place with cow parsley and bog arum interspersed. Lilies were in abundance and just starting to flower. Wild roses were beautiful and even the brambles were flowering and hiding the deadly thorns behind!
    The damsel and dragonflies danced across the canal and even hitched a ride on us and the canoe. One went about two miles with us!
    The fish activity was more than I've ever seen before. We sneaked up on sun-bathing carp who disappeared with a flick of the tail just below the paddle. Smaller fish like dace and roach rose to take the flies from the surface.
    After an hour and ten minutes we were at our lunch stop and saw our first narrowboat. A cup of something or other was flung out of a window just before we passed, literally JUST!
    Lunch was served sitting at a little picnic table near to the lock. We had a screen of bullrushes and tall grasses in front of us and an apple tree behind. I had a cheese and pickle bap. Sian had a turkey salad bap. We both had a hard-boiled egg and a tin of the amber nectar
    The return journey was much the same apart from having the full sun in our faces, LOVELY.
    Get home, stow all the gear and the canoe then sit in the garden drinking beer in the sun. What more could anyone ask?

Sounds like fun - what canoe do you have?

Hi kmac, we paddle a 16' NovaCraft Prospector in Oxblood TuffStuff.

Thanks, sounds cool

Journal Entries

I must have a look to see where this canal is. Sounds like it might not be too far from my in-laws. Haven’t taken a canoe when visiting. Might need to next time.

John, easy access at Queen's Head, near Oswestry. About 30 seconds off the A5.

Your description makes it sound very tempting!

I promise to take photos next time. It was just so beautiful at the weekend that I couldn't be bothered taking pics because I was too busy soaking it up in reality.

Journal Entries

They are near Wentnor. Might not be down again this year but next time I’ll need to see if I can fit some paddle time in.

A stone's throw from there.