Thread: Lifting a heavy boat

Default Lifting a heavy boat

As I've said elsewhere I've been doing some flat water practice over the last couple of weeks, and taking lots of video to analyse (a little under 80gb!). While I was at it I left the camera rolling while I was doing some things that occasionally get asked about on here.

It's going to take a while to troll through all the video and do the analysing for my own paddling, never mind finding bits for this kind of video, but this clip was easy to find and throw some chatter over the top.

Lifting a heavy boat, not that the boat in the video is particularly heavy.

The only thing you have to fear is Mergatroid the vengeful, man eating bear.

Nice vid - and exactly what I do.

I also have worked out that the rack I built at home is high enough to duck under and squat-lift top boat, and new car rack is *just* shoulder high, so lifting onto that is easier also

Still experimenting with loading my boat (with a bad back already). Shall try your approach. Many thanks.

First time I've seen someone load their car like that. It's how I load my van but then I don't need to crawl out afterwards. Good vid.

Iím trying this, so simple..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even lifting my OC1s I normally leave the bow on the ground until I have my head positioned under the saddle and then lift it up level - the main difference is that I grab the rear thwart and roll it over at the same time as lifting the stern over my head rather than rolling over and then lifting. I can lift them straight onto one shoulder, but I prefer not to.

How hard can it be?

I have a p3 16ft Prospector. I always lift it by 'walking it' like you do. But you may need to make sure you are approaching it from the right end!. I've more than once got going and only noticed that I'd not got the yoke the right way around!!

Regarding the 'flip' method - Whilst on a trip in northern Canada I plucked up courage to ask one of the younger and smaller than me women on the trip how they effortlessly lifted their plastic prospectors using the flip method. Making sure she didn't let the canoe drop/slip and decapitating me she carefully showed me what to do. With some trepidation I had a go - bingo!! up in one go. I had another go and succeeded. I've never tried it again. like you it just seems that you're asking for serious trouble if you do it wrong.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

The nice thing about mastering the flip method is that with practice you can get your boat off the water directly onto your shoulders without it touching the bank. This is really handy if you're going off concrete and don't want to scratch your boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Willpower View Post
    The nice thing about mastering the flip method is that with practice you can get your boat off the water directly onto your shoulders without it touching the bank. This is really handy if you're going off concrete and don't want to scratch your boat!
    A bit late now - too many shallow rivers and too many rapids to worry myself over a few additional ones on concrete
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

To stop the canoe slipping away from you, tie a painter to the far end that's the length of the canoe. Then stand on it as you lift the canoe. As you walk towards the yoke make sure you are still standing on the rope and the canoe can't slide away.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Nice video, thank you.
    I have one of these heavyweights, and am a big fit bloke, but have no hope of hefting my Charles River (yup 35 kg plus?) from my thighs to my head, without damge. I like your technique,
    but the CR, when rolled over is VERY unstable because of the slight raised "beak" at the ends....?

But I shall have a go, as putting the C Tug trolley on, for short portages, is a pain...Ö.
    Last edited by laurence milton; 1st-July-2018 at 08:11 AM. Reason: spelling

I have a Prospector which is similarly “beaky”, though I guess all canoes are when they are lifted up at one end. I try to make sure that there’s a plant or a sticky up piece of bank or something to stabilise it against.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananaboat View Post
    I have a Prospector which is similarly “beaky”, though I guess all canoes are when they are lifted up at one end. I try to make sure that there’s a plant or a sticky up piece of bank or something to stabilise it against.
    …..you see what he did there everyone? Now that's just common sense: so clever, so simple. Doh!

How about;
    wedge the nose of the canoe between the tyre and the wheel-arch of your car; would stop it wanting to right itself as you lift and running away as you scoot yourself towards the middle. Of course you'd have a similar "couldn't give a fcuk" attitude towards your car as I do. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    How about;
    wedge the nose of the canoe between the tyre and the wheel-arch of your car; would stop it wanting to right itself as you lift and running away as you scoot yourself towards the middle. Of course you'd have a similar "couldn't give a fcuk" attitude towards your car as I do. :-)
    My canoe goes on a trailer unless I put a Handirack on the roof.....I was thinking more of portaging, so the car wouldn't be about?