Thread: Help: wooden "donut" faileads for painter

Default Help: wooden "donut" faileads for painter

Hi all, I'm failing at Google today: I'm looking for wooden half-section donuts to glue to the outside of my wooden self-build, to protect the painter as it passes through the bow of the boat. I've installed a wooden stem to reinforce the front of the boat, and I'll fit a block to drill through to take the painter and keep the water out of the front floatation compartment, but I can't for the life of me think what to search to find these wretched things. I thought about making them with a router, but I don't fancy losing my fingers doing it freehand. Any tips please? I don't want to use thru-hull fittings as people often do with moulded boats, as I don't want to stress the plywood skin.

Cheers, Matt

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Are you thinking of this kind of thing ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solid-Woo...wTrqhPM6JwuGYw

Ha! Yes! Thank you!

Sheesh! Take a bow for lateral thinking!!

Glad to be of help. You're going to want to round-off the internal edge a bit; I would probably just take off a chamfer with a chisel and finish with some scratch.

Yep. I was thinking of running a conical grinding wheel down the middle and finishing off with sandpaper - never one to use a hand tool when an electric one will do

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Eagle View Post
    Yep. I was thinking of running a conical grinding wheel down the middle and finishing off with sandpaper - never one to use a hand tool when an electric one will do
    I'm the exact opposite, power tools need setting up, make noise and dusty mess. Hand-tools are calming to use and will produce just a few curly shavings :-)

1.5" dowel with a 1" hole bored on a drill press. Cut the dowel long enough that it extends from port to starboard with room to trim on either side. Bore a 1.5" hole on both sides of the hull. Epoxy the now cored dowel in place. Make flush. Bingo, a thru fitting entirely isolated from the interior of the hull.
    Trevor Paetkau
    Ashes Still Water Boats
    Canoe Plans | Custom Boats