Thread: Muck boot opinions

Default Muck boot opinions

Iíd like to upgrade my very cheap wellies. I like the look and reviews of muck boots. Looking at the hale model from the ankle upwards it made out of neoprene, which I didnít think was waterproof. I asked the question on amazon and got conflicting answers.

What are are peopleís experiences with muck boots, will they keep my feet and legs dry when walking in shallow water to launch the canoe?

Yes they will and they'll keep your toesies nice and warm in winter too :-)

Brilliant wellies, super comfy, totally waterproof but very warm, I practically live in mine during the winter, the best wellies I've owned.

Journal Entries

100% waterproof

Cheers,

Alan

Very warm, comfortable and gave good foot support, but I was disappointed in the grip the sole gave on hard surfaces (though it was good in soft mud). I found the hard toe and thick heel a problem when kneeling to paddle, and used them mainly for walking the dog on the moors. Good in soft peat, mud and snow, but slippy on rocky patches or compacted gravel. When stood in water for a long time (when taking photos mid-stream for instance) the neoprene did soak through, but I doubt most people would be stood in water for 30mins at a time.
    They also didn't last as long as the neoprene-lined Seals pair they replaced, the rubber splitting across the heel after 3 years, where the Seals lasted twice as long.
    The Seals pair had a vibram sole, which was much superior, and rubber the whole way up the leg. This did make them a bit sweatier on long walks, but the neoprene lining on the whole mitigated that problem. The cost was similar.
    I now use a pair of cloth-lined Hoggs Field Sports wellies, because I couldn't find any Seals again. These have wide, adjustable calves, which I find essential, and vibram soles which give a decent grip, although the ankle isn't as supportive. They're not as warm as the Muck boots, but have space for thick socks, which makes up for the lack of insulation.

Cheap knock offs from Aldi have been ok for me. Mine are quite thin soled, which is good for water sports, but not for long walks. Not sure of their longevity, compared with the real thing.

have owned two pairs of muck's and while a very comfortable boot..I have no had either pair make it through a single season..first pair were Woody Elites and the were Woody Max's ..In all fairness my brother has a pair of Woody Elites that have been going strong for 3 years or so and he is way harder on gear than I am. Maybe I am just unlucky but good luck with your purchase.

Last edited by inemradl; 2nd-August-2018 at 08:50 AM.

I’ve had my Aldi version for a couple of years and they’ve been great. Warm, comfortable and waterproof.

Neoprene is a closed cell foam and is 100% waterproof.

Wetsuits are wet because they are stitched through (poking lots of little holes in it) and the seams aren't sealed making them slightly leaky. The seams on muckboots aren't through-stitched and they are then sealed with a neoprene adhesive. Just like the neoprene cuffs on a drysuit.

Wellies of any type are difficult to swim in.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

It must have been the seams that leaked in that case - seepage definitely occurred!

Leaking or condensation - warm damp leg against cold surface due to water temperature?

Love my muck boots for dog walking but too cumbersome for me for paddling. I use Palm Gradient paddling boots with thick socks. Sealskinz waterproof in calm water, multiple smart wool layers inside drysuit for water with potential for me to fall in. Sunny Summer days, no socks, Just the Gradients.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

Quote Originally Posted by MultiMark View Post
    Love my muck boots for dog walking but too cumbersome for me for paddling. I use Palm Gradient paddling boots with thick socks. Sealskinz waterproof in calm water, multiple smart wool layers inside drysuit for water with potential for me to fall in. Sunny Summer days, no socks, Just the Gradients.
    I'm tempted to get a pair of these.

What about sizing ? should I go up a size to accommodate winter woolies/sealskins/drysuit ?

If that's the case then aren't they a sloppy fit on "sunny summer days, no socks" ?

Col

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    I'm tempted to get a pair of these.

What about sizing ? should I go up a size to accommodate winter woolies/sealskins/drysuit ?

If that's the case then aren't they a sloppy fit on "sunny summer days, no socks" ?

Col
    Hi Col

I bought my normal size as they are broad enough in the toe to accommodate my wide feet and the laced area flexible enough to cope with the varying thickness or absence of socks.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

Thanks for that, Mark