Thread: River Wey "Weybridge Loop" 9.30 am 3rd June 2018

Default River Wey "Weybridge Loop" 9.30 am 3rd June 2018

Hi All,

We are planning on doing the long weybridge loop of the River Wey this Sunday 3rd June 2018.

Its about 12 miles with a number of short portages, one slightly awkward. A nice mix of canal and a lovely long stretch of natural river with plenty of points of interest. All welcome.

Route: http://www.paddlepoints.net?R=39&A=989

Meet at New Haw Car park (next to the lock) http://www.paddlepoints.net/PaddlePoints.php?pp=111, parking off road near bridge (barrier OK for normal cars with canoes) for 9.30am (ish) start.

Takes all day (5-6 hrs)! Bring lunch...

Maj

Thanks for posting, Maj.

I will be up for a paddle tomorrow but I don't think I'm fit enough for 12 miles; I did Triggs Loop from the Tannery on Monday and was quite sore and knackered, and that's just over 6 miles :-o

Unless you can convince me that it's mostly downhill and I can have a tow back of course !!

Col

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    Thanks for posting, Maj.

I will be up for a paddle tomorrow but I don't think I'm fit enough for 12 miles; I did Triggs Loop from the Tannery on Monday and was quite sore and knackered, and that's just over 6 miles :-o

Unless you can convince me that it's mostly downhill and I can have a tow back of course !!

Col
    Its all downhill Colin (honest ) and doubt you will need tow back - you are fitter than most of us! Its a lovely paddle which i think Mal will do again when he is back from France but i think you will be ok. I did it in my inflatable without any problems. See how you feel tomorrow.

Kit piled up ready in the garage, see you in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by silverbeard View Post
    Its all downhill Colin (honest ) and doubt you will need tow back - you are fitter than most of us! Its a lovely paddle which i think Mal will do again when he is back from France but i think you will be ok. I did it in my inflatable without any problems. See how you feel tomorrow.
    I will ponder on it for a bit. Hard long day at work today so maybe I might just flop about tomorrow (which is a waste, I know) or might spend the day with my Daughter, or might go for a gentle paddle for a couple of hour. Or maybe all of those !!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigyellowtractor View Post
    I will ponder on it for a bit. Hard long day at work today so maybe I might just flop about tomorrow (which is a waste, I know) or might spend the day with my Daughter, or might go for a gentle paddle for a couple of hour. Or maybe all of those !!!
    I hope you get time to go for a wee paddle, looks like its going to be a glorious day tomorrow!

I'm just going to throw my crap together then (barring incidents) will see you there.

Maj, my number is oh seven ate one ate. forty forty-two forty

What a wonderful trip this was - photos (and no doubt video will be forthcoming soon) AND a new title...

"JatNC Maj"....

Lovely paddle today, fantastic weather, jurassic rhubarb, overgrown island, eddy practice topped up with great company - really enjoyed it. A bit tired at the end tbh.

Over 4000 calories - amazeballs!! well pleased with that. That is more than i burn during circuit session!

Video to follow at some point.

cheers

Maj

thanks Colin / Adrian / Tom for a lovely Sunday.

Lovely paddle today, fantastic weather, jurassic rhubarb, overgrown island, eddy practice topped up with great company - really enjoyed it. A bit tired at the end tbh.
    A great day Maj.

Thanks for "Guiding" A remarkably varied route; unspoiled, fast-flowing, gravel bottomed natural river to a paddle under the M25.
    I really enjoyed playing below the weir with the security of a big pool to wash out into.

Over 4000 calories - amazeballs!! well pleased with that. That is more than i burn during circuit session!
    Unfortunately for me, that's about what I consumed for lunch !!

"Where's the Portage/Lock/Lunch-stop (delete where appropriate) Maj?"

"Just round the next corner !!"

My left shoulder is on fire this morning and my right elbow feels like someone snapped it !!!!!

Thanks chaps for a great day out with good people

Col

I'm probably going to struggle to write up a blog of our little trip, due to time constaints, but if anyone else fancies doing it, here are my pictures, which you are free to reuse

Setting off from Addlestone

Approaching the M25

M25 graffiti and shadows

Rhododendrons and greenery

The rural canal

Heading up into the 'unknown' River Wey

Dead tree

Dead tree 2!

Overhanging trees (Colin's favourite!)

And apparently Majid's too!

Jurassic rhubarb - or to give it the correct name: Gunnera Manicata, or more commonly known as Brazilian Giant Rhubarb, or dinosaur food!

Playing by the weir at Bluegates Hole

Dappled light and much appreciated shade

Chilled drifting

Tom's VERY chilled paddling style

Great pickies Adrian.

I am normally up for a bit of a jabber on the keyboard but I too am unlikely to find time to write anything up. I'll post some of my photos here though, eh?

Great phootos Colin / Adrian - the video is in preproduction at the moment - love the banter on it

great Pics and what a great day out, buy the looks of it.
    Simms ..