Thread: Paddles?

1. Default Paddles?

I've got a Prijon RIM Indian for my Mad River 14TT and looking for an additional paddle. I'm thinking of a Grey Owl Voyageur or Pathfinder...anyone using these for long paddles...any preferences, if so why? Thanks

Either of those paddles would be excellent choices for general use. The Voyager is GO's most popular paddle. The Pathfinder has an asymmetrical grip which might lead to uneven wear but I don't think it is something you should worry about too much if you are mostly on deep water.

Personally I dislike an asymmetric grip for deep water paddling as I like to use strokes like the Indian stroke where rotation of the hand on the grip is used. So, out of the two, I'd prefer the Voyaguer and did in fact own one for a while.

If you're rarely in shallow water, my own preference is a long beavertail or a full ottertail style. I replaced the Voyageur with an G.O. Guide, which I was very happy with until I treated myself to a Downcreek Lapwing at a significantly higher price point.

Other things to consider: is it mostly solo, or mostly tandem (bow or stern). I solo, do you paddle with the boat heeled over? This may mean a shorter shaft feels better, but then this may in turn feel to short for tandem paddling when the canoe is upright.

4. Default

Due to a problem with my leg I'll be sitting/solo for my canoe trips...mainly on river where depth may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by davetee View Post
    Due to a problem with my leg I'll be sitting/solo for my canoe trips...mainly on river where depth may vary.
    Cool, in that case I think you're right to go with the sort of blade shape you've narrowed it down to.

The other option is to keep collecting loads of the things in various, leaving you in a constant state of wondering if you've chosen the right paddle for the trip you're on...or filling the canoe with 3 or 4 of the things

6. Default

Thanks...I settled on the Voyageur :-)

P.S. Like your blog a lot :-)

Quote Originally Posted by davetee View Post
    Thanks...I settled on the Voyageur :-)

P.S. Like your blog a lot :-)
    Nice one. Thanks mate.