Thread: Wensleydale Paddle

Default Wensleydale Paddle

About 10 weeks ago I organised a paddle for the Spring Bank Holiday just gone, with two people I have paddled with on numerous occasions. The Idea was to complete the full length of the river Ure from as high up as possible to where it becomes the Yorkshire Ouse, wild camping overnight. One of my erstwhile companions told me he couldn't go two days before the trip was due to start and the other I have been unable to contact at all, even though both were initially extremely keen. Anyhow I had to cancel. As a consolation yesterday I had a trip with 'Nawwal' down the Ure from Wensley Bridge to Kilgram Bridge below Jervaulx Abbey. We had a great trip which I believe he will be blogging about soon. It was a beautiful day, the river is very varied in nature with an abundance of nesting oystercatchers, sandpipers, etc. and although very low we didn't have too much scraping to contend with.
    I'm still determined to complete the full trip at some time in the future, so if there are any paddlers who have a reliable nature and are interested in joining me then please get in touch.

Hi Pete,
    Sew Boat and I would be interested, although today was my first time on the water since our last trip with you (last year)on the Ure when I split the hull of my plywood prospector. Because of the cold spring I have been unable to repair it until now, too cold to cook the epoxy. We would be happy to do the bits without the scrapes as I don't think the canoe can stand too many more repairs.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Calefactio orbis? Culus meus!!

Hi Steve, great to hear from you. The section of the Ure above Bainbridge is mainly quite shallow so is a bit of a scrape in many places, although when I tried it out there was just enough water so that I never ran aground. Below Bainbridge there are several falls and grade three rapids, including Aysgarth, which can be portaged. The flattest section is from Middleham Bridge to Ulshaw bridge and then from Ripon down to the Ouse. Anyhow if I do manage to put a trip together I'll be in touch and you can join us where you choose. Pete.

I forgot to mention to mention in the original thread that due to good fortune I now have two canoes, one a tandem and the other a single, so one is available for anyone who would like to make the trip.