Thread: Hello from Northern Ireland

Default Hello from Northern Ireland

Hi

I'm based in Co Tyrone in Northern Ireland. I did a bit of open canoeing years ago and now the kids are old enough to join me i've decided to get back into it. As well as a few family adventures i'd be keen to join a few like minded people to go on a outings.

Can anybody direct me a local club that does open canoeing or if anybody on this forum would like to meet up let me know.

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum, there are quite a few of us members in Norn Iron so you have come to the right place. I'm based in Bangor but do travel a lot over in your direction, so there's a chance we might meet on the water at some stage.

If you have a look at the Ulster Canoe Club website, or check them out on Facebook.
    They are a family friendly club and organise a few events with kids in mind, as well as more adult/experienced trips if you need a break from the kids, so would be a good place to start.
    The next place I would recommend is CANI website and look for the "Recreational paddles"

In the meantime, enjoy the good weather, and happy paddling.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    more adult/experience trips ....
    Sounds interesting!!

Thanks for that. I've checked out those links you mentioned, i actually recognise one of the admins photos on the ulster canoe facebook page, met through a different organisation!!

I sold my old canoe a while back so have to get kitted up again, any recommendations for an open canoe or any good sources of second hand ones? I'll keep an eye on the calendar of events and hopefully get along once i'm organised.

Cheers.

Hello and Welcome!

You're in safe hands with those NI members Big Al mentions, and is one of. Not necessarily sober or sane ones (off the water), but they'll look after ya, and are a friendly bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by RDeckard View Post
    Thanks for that. I've checked out those links you mentioned, i actually recognise one of the admins photos on the ulster canoe facebook page, met through a different organisation!!

I sold my old canoe a while back so have to get kitted up again, any recommendations for an open canoe or any good sources of second hand ones? I'll keep an eye on the calendar of events and hopefully get along once i'm organised.

Cheers.
    There's a Facebook page called "canoes and kayaks for sale Ireland", I've just sold one through it.
    Also check out the ulster canoe club, as they get deals for club members from Hou Canoes.

The members classified section can turn up some good deals. But a lot of them are over the sheugh. But there are ways and means to get them over here for a decent price, just let me know and I'll get you the transport details of a canoe friendly carrier.
    Last edited by Big Al.; 29th-May-2018 at 06:45 PM.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb