Thread: Armboth Thirlmere

Default Armboth Thirlmere

Does anyone know if Armboth car park on Thirlmere is still technically "closed" (i.e.open but free parking!)?

I was round there last week checking it all out and unless things have changed in the last couple of days the situation is that the whole of the road and shore path and woods on the West side of Thirlmere are still closed.

The Steel Fell carpark at the south end was open but not being advertised as open - this needs a 300m carry to the water. No parking charges because of the access issues. Likewise Wythburn car park. You can unload on the busy road at Wythburn and access the lake through an open gate in 50m. Drive first to the car park to check this out. Don't tell too many people about this lovely spot - Derwentwater is heaving!

Happy paddling,

Pete Knowles, Rivers Publishing, Keswick.

I stupidly tried Derwent water yesterday. Got to kettlewell at 10am which is normally an acceptable time to find it packed. Mostly camper vans who looked like they'd spent the night there. Thirlmere looked lovely and quiet except for the axes issues.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk