Thread: Braemar put in

Default Braemar put in

Off to do the Royal Dee in a few weeks and looking for a put in as close to Braemar as possible. After shuttling cars, Linn O'Dee not really an option.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers
    Andy
    The river flows, flows to the sea
    Wherever that river flows, that's where I want to be

Victoria Bridge is mentioned in the SCU Scottish Canoe Touring guide. Not sure if the situation has changed, think it might have been damaged/washed away in the big flood a few years back, but probably replaced by now.

I wonder if getting in from the car park (GR 152917) just outside of town on the A93 onto the Clunie Water is possible, and if that's deep enough to paddle down to the Dee? Might be lineable at least? Hard to tell on Google Satellite! Through the village itself is a G3/4 whitewater run, so it would have to be below that, but there is reference on UKRGB to getting out into said car park.

There’s a spot about 3km west along the road with good access and parking. GR123 904. Folk are often open to giving lifts to dodgy outdoor types around there, in my experience. The put in at Victoria Bridge is straight forward. We recently put in at Muir Cottage, but it had rained enough to make it worth while.

Hope that’s useful.

Mike.

Cheers chaps.

Ironically, I used to work in Braemar many years ago but wasn't paddling then so didn't take much notice.

Andy
    The river flows, flows to the sea
    Wherever that river flows, that's where I want to be