Thread: Greetings from sunny Hook, Hampshire

1. Cool Greetings from sunny Hook, Hampshire

HI there, I'm Kendra, nice to meet you all. Before I get kicked out for not owning a canoe... please let me explain.

I go outdoors swimming with my dog (Poppy) and frequent the Hamble, Avon, All the main sea-sides on South coast, Frensham Great Pond, The Lakes (brrrr), Itchen, and Lower Test. All of these have been tried and tested and recommended by friends and other FB groups, so I know I have entry and exit points for both myself and pooch (so she doesn't damage the banks etc...). Since you all must have a good entry and exit point for paddles, I thought it would be a great place to learn of new local areas. I did a search for Blackwater, anyone tried routes through there?

Thank you. I hope I'll be allowed to stay by moderators , and will go play on PaddlePoints in the meantime.

Hello and Welcome!

Don't worry, you won't get kicked out for not using a canoe. Most of us have fallen out of one often enough to call ourselves swimmers...

As you've already found Paddle Points, not sure what else I can add. The Blackwater is a little tree infested at times, but I've never attempted to paddle it, though others have in the Ash/Farnborough area. Bit of a jungle bash!

Welcome, nothing wrong with swimmers in my book. Do you mean the Blackwater, Loddon tributary or the Blackwater, Test tributary?
    -------------------------
    You! Off my planet!

Quote Originally Posted by Ounce View Post
    Welcome, nothing wrong with swimmers in my book. Do you mean the Blackwater, Loddon tributary or the Blackwater, Test tributary?
    AH, good question! I was referring to the former...as the only one I know!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    AH, good question! I was referring to the former...as the only one I know!
    An occasionally good resource for publicly accessible put ins is http://wetroads.co.uk/

There's a ford at Bramshill which I've driven my Land Rover through before now, upstream I can't comment on, but downstream I used to fish for chub and barbel, when I was younger, and it's quite deep enough to swim or canoe. I've not lived near there for the better part of 20 years (possibly more) but it should still warrant a look. You can walk down the left hand bank (facing downstream) for further than I was ever prepared to carry my fishing gear.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x...earchp=ids.srf

According to Google maps that stretch isn't the Blackwater though, it's called Long River... we always called everything from the confluence of the Whitewater and whatever it's real name is the Blackwater when we fished it.

Hope that helps.
    -------------------------
    You! Off my planet!