Thread: Tentipi

Default Tentipi

Hi. Could anyone tell me if a tentipi safir7 would give me much defense against midges without the inner tent. Thinking about getting one. Thanks in advance

Hi Mike, just been on a Tentipi weekend and didn't see any of the tentipis with an inner tent.
    Mind you probably a bit early for midges in Wales. There is a mozzi net on one of the door openings and another on the
    inside around the top where you vent the tent. If you turn the bottom skirt under to the inside and fit the floor over it, it should help keep the bugs to a minimum. I was told the inner tent is more for really cold climates and was advised not to bother
    with one in the safir tents. Patterdale paddler on here has camped in Scotland a good bit using the tentipi 7, not sure if in midge season, but may be worth dropping him a pm.
    Failing that ask on, tentipi users group uk, on facebook, another excellent site.
    atb Terry

Sorry, never used it in midge season. Good strong, roomy tent for two with lots of kit and supplies for a week! Had one problem with the pole breaking but in truly exceptional circumstances. We do what Terry says and put the floor over the inward facing skirt and never had an issue.
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

Hi Mike,

My wife and I have used a Tentipi Safir 7 for almost 10 years, always with an inner tent. However, we do live in Scotland and often camp in midge infested places. I'm not sure if it's worth-while if you don't live in Scotland where the midges are awful in some places. Saying that, we holidayed in Yorkshire last year and we were surprised at how bad they were in Keld. My advice would be, if you have the cash, buy one – you don't have to use it all the time. I would much rather use the Tentipi without it, but, to date we never have preferring the belt-and-braces approach to the wee beasties. Whatever you do, you'll find that the Safir 7 is a fantastic tent and, if you damage it (like we have a couple of times) is easily patched. Oh, and you can still use a wood-burning stove inside with the inner tent attached, but I probably wouldn't recommend an open fire. Cheers!

Actually, thinking about it, my wife and I have also said that we wished we'd just got the floor instead (more room inside). If Patterdale Paddler finds the floor sufficient to keep out the midges that are 'underfoot', then I'd maybe go with that instead – it's also way cheaper! Ta!

Thanks for all the replies guys still can't make up my mind. Think I'll have to go and see a few of them
    Been wanting one for years.