Thread: PFD for dogs!

Default PFD for dogs!

My Orca canoes build is looming, and the Beagle can't wait!

I have had a look around the t'internet, and on here, can any of you suggest a decent brand/style that is easy to fit and appears comfy for them to wear? Or do people simply not bother on the basis that dogs can swim, tend not to panic like us humans and in a to-do just leave your dogs to their own resources.

Your thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

I don't know anything about the PFDs, but can say that my friends with dogs (small-medium ones at least) find the grab handle on the back very useful if (when) the dog jumps/falls in. Some don't use them at all though. As with anything, also depends on the location (e.g. on most canals and many rivers dogs can just get out on the bank, but on more urban ones the high sides might stop this requiring canoe rescue).

Every paddler I know uses a pfd for their furry bow-mate (which is a considerable number). This is mine:

Dunno about the UK, but over 'ere every good outdoor hunting/fishing/paddling store carries a good selection, as well as better pet-supply outlets. Buying online is not a good idea because you can't be sure of the fit for your dog which is REALLY important (as with humans). Bring your fella to the store with you & try the pfd's before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    I don't know anything about the PFDs, but can say that my friends with dogs (small-medium ones at least) find the grab handle on the back very useful if (when) the dog jumps/falls in. Some don't use them at all though. As with anything, also depends on the location (e.g. on most canals and many rivers dogs can just get out on the bank, but on more urban ones the high sides might stop this requiring canoe rescue).
    I used to have a harness on my Working Lab. Buoyancy and swimming weren't an issue at all for him but hoiking him up onto a narrowboat or into the dinghy were difficult without it.

He isn't overly phased by being in a boat!

I bought my border terriers PFD off eBay, he doesn't seem to mind it but it does make him pant more in hot weather.

Oh and it does work, I found out after he decided to make a jump from the canoe to the canal bank, he managed to get his front paws on the bank but his back ones were still in the canoe, which pushed it away from the bank causing a "canine gang plank" before the inevitable happened, I was surprised by how long he got before the splash, nothing I could do but sit and watch events unfold.

I bought one from Amazon for my German shepherd. He's double coated so doesn't need the insulation but thinner coated dogs might on a cold day. I don't use it often - only on canals where the grab handle really helps getting him up a high bank, or on busy waterways like the broads where a bright orange BA will help him be seen if he goes over the side.

Crewsaver pet float we have one for the rat ( small terrier type ) and one for the 30 kg collie, good bit of kit.

as has been mentioned, you should get a PFD that fits your dog well.
    the handle is useful to help the dog back in the canoe and when both the air and water are really warm i don't put the PFD on my dog but a harness, to still have something to grab. it's true that pretty much all dogs can swim but don't forget the effect that cold water will have on them, just as on humans.

the best ones i've seen are from ruffwear. they are cut so that they provide full freedom of movement, and the thickness of the padding varies to make them float in an good position.

10. Default

My French bulldog has a Ruffwear PDF, and he loves it. I think it was from Amazon