Thread: new member

Default new member

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I live in Alabama, so I am a bit far off from most of you who post on this forum. That is one reason I wanted to join. I love going to new places and paddling, and hope to be able to take a trip to BWCA sometime soon if my work allows. I am a pretty experienced woodsman (or at least I claim to be); as many people from my area of the country tend to be. I am an avid fly-fisherman, as well as an experienced backpacker, but would consider myself a novice when it comes to extended overnight canoe tripping. The area I live in provides for a great deal of whitewter canoeing, but less in the way of mutli-day/week trips. I usually do quite a few 3 day trips on Alabama's only free-flowing river, the Cahaba. The Cahaba river has a wonderful reputation, including many species of fish, as well as the Cahaba Lily, an endangered species which is only found here. I will try to post some pics soon.

Journal Entries

Welcome along.

I don't know much about Alabama and its waterways but I look forward to learning about it.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Silvergirl,
    Thanks for the welcome. There aren't that many waterways for canoeing in Alabama to speak of, but there are a few good ones to be had that are not incumbered by any boat traffic. Also I live near Atlanta Georgia, which is home to many more famous rivers as well as tennesee, but as I said much of them are for WW paddling more than canoe camping, which is what I prefer. I would love to provide everyone with any info I can, as I am very eager to learn about the wonderful places in the U.K as well as Canada.

Journal Entries

Welcome to Song of the Paddle. Even though this site has a UK bias we are always glad to see new members from across the pond.

Had a quick look at your position on the googlemap and see there are a few lakes near-ish. What are the access laws like in your area? Are you allowed to paddle pretty much any water or is it restricted at all?

Welcome again.

Hey,
    We've spent the last 7 years in Nashville, TN before moving over here. Brushy Creek is one of my favorite paddles ever. We've also paddled the Sipsey, Mulberry, Locust and the Escatawpa rivers in Alabama. We have a much longer to do list for Alabama then what we have actually completed. Alot of longer rivers in Lower Alabama would be good for heading south in the winter time.

The rivers in Scotland are surprisingly similar. Except with better views (fewer trees) and lots more sheep.
    Lucas
    --------
    He who dies with the most stories, wins.

Magikelly,
    Access is pretty good. On the Cahaba for example, is bounded by private property, but the rule is generally, if you question it, just stayu in the river itself. It is not private. There are many put in and take out points, and we have a lot of WMAs(wildlife management areas) that are public use. so for the most part access is not a major issue. We do have some people that have closed their properties because of insuranse issues. There are some drunks who won't take care what they are doing on the water and you know we tend to be quite litigious over here, so some places you would be able to use are no longer available.

Lucas,

Glad to see you here! Brushy creek is great, and Sipsey...well I am pleasingly shocked to see it mentioned here! I absoluotley love that area. There are better rivers, but few flow through better areas to camp. I also backpack through this area, and if you ever need any additional info or want to join up for a trip, let me know!

Magikelly,
    Jusat a follow up answer in regards to the lakes. Most of the larger lakes you will find in this area would not be suitable for canoeing. The problem is bass fishermen, and jetskiers. The large lakes (Smith Lake, Lake Logan Martin, Lay Lake) are pretty much covered up by fishermen in boats with up to 55 horsepower outboard motors in them. Not very peaceful paddling if you know what I mean. There are some smaller State owned lakes that don't allow large motors, but for the most part I would say the paddlers stick to the many rivers and streams in our area.