Thread: Wich solo canoe

Default Wich solo canoe

Hey everyone I currently have a hou 16 that is fine for tandem but I find it a bit much solo in high winds, so I'm looking for the best solo canoe I can get for a budget of around 1800

I will be keeping the hou and using it for the rocky stuff and tandems so I think I want a composite layup on the solo for lakes and lochs and rivers upto grade 2 and expedition style trips like the spey.

My current choice is the apache trek 16 solo in carbon innegra layup I'm about to finalize the order, but then I saw the quetico and little egret from solway dory. (and swift canoes but I doubt I could get one of those imported in my budget range)

I weigh about 95kg the canoe should be able to take me and my camping gear happily(30kg max).

I'm pretty much set on the apache to be honest, waiting to finalize the order but would like to hear peoples opinions before I do.

Edit: Thanks to barelyafloat for bringing the nova craft fox 14 solo to my attention looks appealing and I will also consider that.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Ashyx; 16th-May-2018 at 08:19 AM.

Hi and Welcome!

If the 16 is a problem for you in wind, would you not be better considering the 14 or 15 Apache solo rather than the 16? You may have the same issue with that. Weight off the water should be much less, obviously, but on the water the lighter canoe may be just as prone to wind issues. Saying that, trim and paddle positioning will make as much difference as weight in wind. Off the water, any Apache CIX will be lighter and much easier to handle I'm sure. Have a good conversation with Stu at Apache if you can, he'll give you the best advice.

Quetico has a good reputation as an excellent hull, but I've never paddled one. The Little Egret is a little different, more of a straight line canoe than the others, should be faster but with little rocker will need to be worked to turn, and I wouldn't chose it for tripping on rivers like the Spey.

If you spot a Swift secondhand you never know you could get lucky! They rarely come up though.

Well my thought was that the 16 from apache had lower freeboard so wouldnt catch the wind as much as the 15, not sure about the 14 though. Compared to my hou it should be alot easier to handle solo the hou is higher freeboard and the width at gunnels is like 38" so its hard to reach out.

Thanks Mal.
    Last edited by Ashyx; 16th-May-2018 at 09:05 AM.

Stu can make the sides of the 15 suit your requirements. The maximum height is set, but they can be cut much lower before putting on the wood trim. So the 15 can be as low as the 16.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    If you spot a Swift secondhand you never know you could get lucky! They rarely come up though.
    Indeed, rarely. But sometimes you can find a gem.

Silverbirch has the new Firefly 14 going into Production very soon .. the Prototype is doing the rounds and I will have a demo Duralite woodtrim Firefly 14 available as soon as the first production boats are made .. Composite is something that I believe Silverbirch Canoes will also be offering at some point maybe not soon enough for your purchase but the prototype Firefly doing the rounds is a composite boat ..

https://www.facebook.com/silverbirch...88582281192092
    Last edited by pipster3; 16th-May-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Another alternative is the mega outlander - UK built, composite hulls comparable in weight and cost to apaches.
    My outlander 16 is my first choice of boat for flat and open water solo trips. (I have an apache 15 in grp lay-up too, but it's slower and more affected by the wind, though better on bouncy rivers). I have paddled apache 16s before too, and they're quite similar to the outlander 16.
    If you want a side by side comparison and are near me you'd be welcome to a test paddle.

Have a look at the Wenonah Argosy, try one first might be a bit twitchy for a big bloke but has river capability and is no slouch on the flat
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

The Argosy looks great but I think I want something less specialized and better all rounded