Thread: Today, I got the song of the paddle

Default Today, I got the song of the paddle

Hi all,

Total novice here getting by (badly) so far via you tube vids and gleaning valuable gems from this forum but sticking at it despite my inherent crapness (there's something in this for me though I know it). Anyway, I've been getting more adventurous of late (I live on the Norfolk Broads) so ventured out today for a solo paddle and paddled up the cut to the Broad and the wind was fierce and sheer brute force and ignorance got me through and tested my will big style, definitely my toughest day so far . But the BIG revelation though was when I got to the dyke leading to the river after the nightmare of the open broad I finally "got" the J stroke (after a fashion). Don't get me wrong I made a tonne of mistakes and that but for the first time I became really relaxed on the water. Confident in my little bubble that I could focus on my paddling and not on being petrified. And for a few glorious strokes, I was able to J stroke and slice the paddle through the water and lift it out in front of me and repeat and be in control of the canoe. What a revelation. The sound of the paddle vibrating in the water when I was slicing it forwards was thrilling.

I'm hooked, this thing is taking over my entire being.

Atb

Tombs

And in one little paragraph, that sums it up.

Welcome aboard!

A great day on the water by the sound of it, congratulations.

Had my first trip on the Broads this year and loved it.
    "I'd far rather be happy than right any day"..........Slartibartfast

http://apachecanoes.com

Journal Entries

The J stroke just seems all wrong at first. I can remember how awkward it felt and how I was sure my wrist could not twist like that and be comfortable. But time and practice get you to the stage where it is just as natural as walking. You might not quite be at that stage yet but you will be. You’re in a great place to enjoy getting the practice.

In reply to Mal/Mark/MK

Thanks guys for your replies/encouragement, I've got a LOT to learn ahead of me I know but, if I get as much out of this as I did yesterday then she'll be right. I saw lots of wildlife including a Marsh Harrier swooping above the reedbeds looking for breakfast and when I paddled up to the quay for a rest/brew I heard a small bird cheeping away frantically, thinking I was trespassing on some hatchlings I pushed my canoe further down the quay so as not to disturb them only to realise I was being followed by a lone duckling who had strayed from her family. Nothing I could do as I looked around for his flock as he swam away into the reedbeds not to be seen again. Next up, a recce of the Bungay loop to see if I can tune up my J stroke tactics.

There is a simple answer .... time in the boat.
    Hook up with local paddlers over there ... there are some ... via the Meetings forum and get out with them too.
    Keep it up
    MarkL
    www.canoemassifcentral.com
    Canoe outfitting packages in the Massif Central

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    And in one little paragraph, that sums it up.

Welcome aboard!
    ^ What he said. ..... that first few good strokes and a straight boat = an epiphany ...

Thanks again for replying it is appreciated fellers. One thing I would contribute is "things I wished I knew about when setting out" is trimming a canoe for wind! I know now from bitter experience all about the trouble with brute force and ignorance over the merits of arming oneself with knowledge from people of experience with regard to my new found hobby!

Forewarned is forearmed as they say. Lesson learnt.

The Bungay loop recce went well, time spent in reconnaissance is seldom wasted as they say. I bowled up to have a look at the put-in at the riverside centre in the town and met two lads who had just done their first overnight canoe camping at Geldeston and chatted to them about this stretch of water. They couldn't have been more helpful and gave me plenty of advice which in turn gave me greater confidence. I returned later in the day and had the best paddle yet, such a lovely stretch of water.

Tutto bellissimo ����

I was at bungy this weekend, was you there? You can’t go wrong there, nice easy paddle, keep listening to the “song” my friend

I was there today David yes. Took my wife out with me for our first trip as front end ballast and she absolutely totally loved it. Lovely little paddle as you say, my confidence is growing bit by bit and things are starting to make sense and gradually get a little bit easier and a little less daunting. Then I come on here and see folks adventure paddling in Scandinavia and Canada etc and my imagination runs away a bit I must confess. I do love it.

Hi Tombs,

Good to hear about other local paddlers enjoying the broads. Did you do a there and back for the bungay loop or run a shuttle?

Its a lovely section, although id say its even better further up.

Ive canoe camped from scole to beccles. Its a great little adventure. Maybe see you on the water sometime.

Robin
    The early bird may catch the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Hello Robin,

We did the loop there and back, we went through a few groups of day renters (and a handful of wild swimmers ) and I enjoyed my new found fledgeling confidence so that was nice. The fellers I met the other day canoe camped from Bungay to Geldeston and back so that's next on my agenda when I get the time/weather. We used to live in Beccles when we were younguns so yes, would be nice to meet a fellow sotp'ler to nick some tips and tricks off of!

Atb, Tombs